1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Almost finished my first coop, but kinda stuck! Need ideas [With Pictures]

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sjedda, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Sjedda

Sjedda Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    Norway
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have 7 Pekin Bantam chickens that will mvoe in in about 3-5 weeks!
    The coop is going to have one closed part witch is about 125cm x 125cm and a small outer part which is about 60-70cm wide and 125cm deep.

1st Picture: Im making 3 nest boxes on the secound floor, the depth is 35cm and 40cm wide. Is it enough?
    I havent really found a way to moun the OSB-boards standing up like that, any ideas?
    I need a way for the chickens to get up there, i didnt think this through very well, maybe i will just make some stairs from the outside part of the coop.

2nd Picture: Theres going to be a wall mounted on the outside of those 2x4's. My plan is to have roosting bars on the inside along that wall, maybe 2 different hights, maybe up to the secound floor, which is my i dont have the nesting boxes floor covering the whole 2nd floor.
    What do you guys use as roosting bars, and at what hight?

Please look at these pictures and tell me if something looks wrong or off! Im very new to this...Thanks!

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

I have a few questions:

1. What do you mean by an "inner part" and an "outer part"?

2. Will you have a rooster and do you plan on hatching any chicks? Even if the answer is no, I would still recommend probably lowering the nest boxes. You want them low if they are going to raise chicks, just for ease of the chicks getting back up to them, and even if you don't raise chicks you still want the nest boxes lower than the roosts so they don't sleep (and poop) in them.

Your nest box sizes are plenty big enough. Can you post some pics from the outside? My suggestion would be to put the nest boxes down low and you can put one roost over that second "upstairs" and make it a poop board, although it won't be enough roost space for 7 birds since Cochin/Pekins are poofier than most other bantams.

This coop is walk in size, right? Sorry, its just hard to get an idea of the overall size and layout.

PS You are getting my favorite bantam breed (I won't tell that to my old english game bantams though).

3. Sjedda

Sjedda Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    Norway
    1. The inner part is going to have covered walls and the outer part is just going to be chicken wire covering the wall and roof, I just made this so that the entrance from my outdoor run is not going directly into the closed section of the coop, i thought that would help keeping it a bit more cosy temperature wise inside the closed part of the coop.

Also im making most of this build with 120 width or hight because thats the size the OSB-Boards come in.

I can not stand inside the coop, its only about 130cm standing space inside.

2. Yes, im planning on having a rooster and probably some chickens after a while. I put the nesting boxes so far up because i wanted to be able to just open the hatch and get the eggs without having to bend down or go inside.

Im going to have the feeding area below the nesting boxes, where i will have some pvc pipes with water and feed. If im going to have the nesting boxes on the bottom floor im not sure where the entrance could be.. Or maybe i would have to remove one box and only have two to make space for the entrance..

I know, i love the pekin bantams, they are my first chickens and they are soo beautiful, and i cant wait from them to grow up! Thanks for the help so far!

4. Sjedda

Sjedda Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    Norway
    1. The inner part is going to have covered walls and the outer part is just going to be chicken wire covering the wall and roof, I just made this so that the entrance from my outdoor run is not going directly into the closed section of the coop, i thought that would help keeping it a bit more cosy temperature wise inside the closed part of the coop.

Also im making most of this build with 120 width or hight because thats the size the OSB-Boards come in.

I can not stand inside the coop, its only about 130cm standing space inside.

2. Yes, im planning on having a rooster and probably some chickens after a while. I put the nesting boxes so far up because i wanted to be able to just open the hatch and get the eggs without having to bend down or go inside.

Im going to have the feeding area below the nesting boxes, where i will have some pvc pipes with water and feed. If im going to have the nesting boxes on the bottom floor im not sure where the entrance could be.. Or maybe i would have to remove one box and only have two to make space for the entrance..

Also, what size should the doors/entrances be?

I know, i love the pekin bantams, they are my first chickens and they are soo beautiful, and i cant wait from them to grow up! Thanks for the help so far!

5. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Is this coop a sectioned off part of a larger building? It sort of looks like it from the pics...

When you say the three nest boxes are 40cm wide, is that each? I assume so but I'm just making sure! To hold the dividers up, run a board across the front of the them, which will help keep the bedding in, and attach the walls to it, if you can. It looks like the OSB is pretty thin so you might have to use some L-brackets and tiny screws to attach them to that front board and/or the floor of the nest box area.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Basic guideline for height is as follows -
    Roosts should be about a foot above the nest boxes to discourage sleeping in the nest boxes and ending up with poopy eggs in the morning.
    Ventilation should be at least a foot above the roost to keep the birds out of any potential drafts.
    You also need to factor in maneuverability. Put the roosts too high in too small a coop, and the birds can get hurt coming down off of them by crashing into the walls.

7. SunHwaKwon

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    [​IMG]

Am I understanding the layout correctly?

8. Sjedda

Sjedda Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    Norway
    Ahh, thanks, did not know this!

9. Sjedda

Sjedda Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    Norway
    Yes, its actually inside our workshop/Woodshed.
    Yes,im think im going for three nest boxes which are 40cm wide each. I was originally planning to go with 4 boxes 30cm wide, but im afraid it might be too small? What do you think?

Ahh ofc, i see alot of people have a board across infrot, will do that. Yeah its pretty thin, cant relly screw in to that cut part.. Think some L-Brackets would be a good idea.[​IMG]
    Here is the idea. There is a whole OSB-Board covering the "closed part" which i can open so it gives me acess to both floors for easy cleaning. Also going to make a door in the chicken wires.

10. Sjedda

Sjedda Just Hatched

Mar 19, 2017
    Norway
    [​IMG]

Im considering this after talking to you. Make the secound floor sleeping area and bottom floor feeding and nesting area?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by