Almost Finished with our New Chicken House!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by angelbabyamy, Feb 6, 2012.

1. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]New House is 8 x 16. We still need to add steps,paint,trim,hardware wire the window and are waiting on the autmatic door. MY chickens will be free-ranging.The house was built under the awning of the big barn.
    My husband and son worked very hard, I am proud of them!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. Velma&theChix

Velma&theChix Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Missouri
    This looks great! I love that you used milk crated as your nesting boxes.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

VERY nice! I like to see hanging feeders, and I also use ladder style roosts. Really good job! Do you have the feeder down that low in anticipation of young chicks needed to use it? If not, raise them to about chicken head height; not too high for the shorter birds to feed from it. That way they won't beak the feed out of it onto the floor.

LOVE the size of your chicken house!

4. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    Wow. I wonder if my chicken coop will ever be quite that well built! Your husband and son have done an amazing job [​IMG]

5. athivijai

athivijai New Egg

May 11, 2011
    dear bro. super working

6. mychookau

mychookau Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Australia
    Aww should have checked this out before posting my thread. That looks awesome. I reckon I might need to steal some of your decor ideas. Might have to look in the local second hand store for some shelving to use, and we have Dairy Farmers mik depot just up the road to pinch some crates. :D Well done. It looks fantastic

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Check out the lumber!

8. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    looks professional! I like the nest boxes too!

9. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Wow looks great and your chickens look so happy....and beautiful roosters by the way : )

10. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! I think we should have made the nestbox holder smaller and maybe stacked some on the bottom, they are laying underneath it. Also, they don't seem to like
    the holes in the crates when they try to situate themselves- I think I will go to the dollar store and get some cheap mousepads (slick ones you can clean) to put in the bottom.
    Quote:
    We're in Oregon! My husband works in a sawmill and friends work in a plywood mill. We paid $5.00 a sheet for 10' shop plywood. I also paid $30.00 for the door and for the window from a local place that recycles building materials!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by