Almost finished...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by oldchickenlady, Aug 16, 2010.

1. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    OMG I am so freaking tired. I worked on the coop and run alllll day today. I made my poop board first. Then I put hardware cloth over the eaves on the back of the coop. Then I managed to catch my son and a friend of his before he hightailed away from home, and had them help me move the run to the coop, put all the wire down around it, and stake it down. Then I planned where my pop door was going to go and cut the wire of the run where the door was going to go. Then cut the pop hole door (not very easy I might add). I decided to use a slide up and down type door, so I made 2 tracks for the door to fit into. Then I had to cut some scrap pieces of board to go around the door on the outside to staple the wire to so no predator could squeeze into the gap and get in. Then I cut my door itself out of some thin bead board type paneling left over from a project. I drilled a hole into the top of it, then I drilled a hole in the wall. I wanted to be able to go to the door of the run to open it, but be able to open the pop door from there, too, without having to go into the run or through the people door. So for now I just tied some nylon hay string to the top of the pop door, ran it through the hole, and ran it over the top of the run to where the gate is. When I work all I will have to do is go to the gate of the run and open the gate and the pop door at the same time. I will take pictures tomorrow, I am so freaking tired, hot, and nasty right now I just can't do it. Oh yeah, I made the ramp, hung the food inside the coop, hung the big waterer in the run, and I am just waiting for the chickens to go into the run for the night so I can put them to bed in the coop for their first night. Pictures tomorrow to illustrate all my designs. Could not have done it without all the support and pictures and explanations of so many people on this site who posted their coops and runs. Thanks so much!

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Congratulations on your project. I hope you can get a little rest. And we will watch for pictures.

3. rocketdoctor

rocketdoctor Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
  4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    A coon cannot get into my run unless I leave the gate open. It is Fort Knox secure. It is a pvc hoop run totally covered with 1x2 welded wire. I have an 18" apron of wire stapled to the bottom of frame and staked to the ground with tent stakes. I also have very heavy rocks placed in some areas also. My chickens have been in that run every night for 3 months now and so far nothing has made it in. I will go over everything again tomorrow when I am not so freaking tired and make sure everything around the run is secure. My door is on the inside of the coop, so if I put a lock of some sort on it, it would have to be on the inside. OMG I hope I didn't just jinx myself!
    I just went out and closed everyone up in the run, then started catching them one by one and sticking them in through the pop door. I stuck a notebook in the doorway to keep the ones in from getting back out. That was not fun! They seemed to get the roost option fairly quickly, even though some of them were sitting on the poop board to start with. In the run where the have been they had a roost board but prefered all bunching up together in the big plastic water trough that I had in there turned up on it's side (to give them a place to get if it was blowing rain or a predator was outside the wire. When I left to come back in they were all on the roost. Tomorrow I am off to TSC for 3 plastic buckets (for nestboxes) and another waterer and feeder, then I'll have a set for the run and for the coop. Eventually I am going to make the side opposite the roost a broody area. I think I have enough wire, I just need to make the frame. Since they aren't laying yet I think I have some time!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by