ALMOST first hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suziedoozie, Mar 24, 2011.

1. suziedoozie

suziedoozie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2011
    Well, my little serama eggs are in lock down. I have been worried about them hatching for the last 20 or so days. I didn't let them rest for very long after receiving them in the mail and a couple of the eggs look very porous. I didn't check the humidity, just followed the instructions that came with my Brinsea mini advanced incubator. I don't know how to candle the eggs either. I guess I'm not such a good chicken mama. The incubator automatically stops turning when its time for lock down and it stopped last evening at 8pm.
    I just got home from work and went to check to see if any are pipping and they're not. But lo and behold, one little egg is just rocking for all its worth! OH, I hope they hatch. This is driving me crazy.

2. peeppeeppeep

peeppeeppeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Shasta County
    Sounds like you are doing fine. My first couple of hatches I tried to candle but I didn't know what the heck I was looking at. As it is, with the colored eggs, I can't tell what's in there half the time anyway so I just let them all go and see what hatches.

As for humidity, sometimes I put in the hygrometer and sometimes I don't. Doesn't seem to make any difference as long as you keep the water well filled up.

Happy hatching!

3. suziedoozie

Feb 6, 2011
    Thank you! I just saw 3 more rocking around. Sure do hope they make it. I filled the little water container in the bator last night, but it looks like a lot has evaporated already. I'm so tempted to open it up real quick and add more water. Should I just sit tight?

4. suziedoozie

Feb 6, 2011
    OK! Now I can say I have my first hatch. Noticed that one pipped last night and then another. Went to work this morning and just got home. The first one that pipped had now zipped. I walked in the other room to get a cup of coffee, came back and the first one was half way out. Now he is all the way out!!! The other one is still just pipped and doesn't seem to have made any progress. Hope he/she gets out ok too. The other 5 are just still sitting there although I could have sworn I saw some of them moving last eve. This is awesome. Wish that they all would make it or at least 5 of them. Now I'm going to look for some more to hatch. WHEEEEEE! I'm hooked. Brought home a bunch of pallets and am going to try and build a coop this weekend if the weather holds out. Well at least get it started.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by