almost free food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Wile E., Mar 18, 2012.

1. Wile E.

Wile E. Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    South Cryogenica
    I found a couple 50 lb sacks of millet, a couple market saffower seed, and a couple marked sunflower chips.

I could buy all of it for about 10 bucks, I think at least 300 lbs.

This is in the bird food section of a local store. I didn't have room in the car, but tommorow I will bring my pickup in.

I think the millet is coming home with me for sure, but I don't know about the safflower seed or the sunflower chips. I can'r really go wrong at the price, but what are sunflower chips, and is safflower ok for chicken?

2. redandalusian

redandalusian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Arizona
    safflower is good for chickens but i dont now what sunflower chips are but they are probabally ok if there sold for bird food. so i would take it all with that deal

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Sunflower chips are just pieces & probably broken pieces of shelled sunflower seed. Your birds would love them, but they won't stay as fresh as whole seeds.

4. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    What a great deal! Where did you get it?

5. Wile E.

Wile E. Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    South Cryogenica
    OK, so it was just a misunderstanding and poorly marked merchandise. I thought they had the stuff on clearance. Turns out the prices I saw were per pound. I suppose if a little old lady wanted to buy a small amount of custom birdseed they would open the bags.

So the sunflower chips were 1.99 per pound, or $100 per bag. I don't know why anyone would pay that, they had bags of sunflowers 40 lbs for $22. The millet would have been $29.50 per bag.

I can by layer crumbles cheaper, so I passed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by