Almost got Scammed - Updated Last page!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChooksinChoppers, Aug 19, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I have been emailing back and forth with this very nice sounding "young lady" (she told me she wasnt quite 22 yet) about a room I have for rent. She has been living with uncle in another state..has job offer nearby to me etc.
    Next email comes says she will have check mailed for first and last rent before she leaves to go visit with other uncle who is ailing and lives in finland. Then a fews days later..comes an email from her..."Favor Please"
    Seems she wants to have her furniture and car shipped down and she will make the check for enough to cover the shipping costs and would I pay the shippers for her when her stuff arrives, also would I pick her up from airport when she gets back from overseas.
    Warning bells start ringing [​IMG] I hear "Danger Will Robinson, Danger" in my head.
    So I play along...and this morning I get an email saying her uncle had passed away and she would be staying for another 2 weeks to pay her respects and reasuring me the check was on its way.....(sounds good eh?) Sure enough in the mail today was a check for $2000 [​IMG] Looked legit too! even had a watermark in it. So I rush It down to the bank and the cashier verified it on the spot (at my request)! FAKE! So forwarded all the emails to the bank ...I really hope they catch this person/s ! At least I only lost not being able to rent to anyone else for 3 weeks and not a bunch of $ in bank fees.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I hope they nail her...

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Darned scammers! You were too smart for her though! YAY!

4. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Wondering what I should do IF her furniture and stuff gets delivered....I could use a new car [​IMG]

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Ugg! I am so glad you were bilked out of any $. I hope they catch her.

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My daughter got a similar e-mail when she posted a room for rent. I was like seriously Lish - who moves from France to live in Iowa????? It had red flags all over it and she never replied.

7. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:I guarantee it's not a "her" and just a bunch of people in a foreign country seeing how many people they can scam.

8. Silverose

Silverose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2011
    Middle Tenn
    yet another lesson that we should always listen to those little alarm bells in our head. I didn't once and it could have ended very badly, I was lucky.

9. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I am glad you caught on and didnt get scammed !!!!! I hope they bust her ( or him )

We had one like that when my son sold his car online. The check arrived and even thought he was of age, I told him , you better take
    that check to the bank and verify it . Sure enough it was fake, he was stunned, and we wrote void across the back and framed it.
    Gave all info to the FBI too .
    I don't trust anyone out there anymore. Better to be safe than sorry and that is sad but that is what this world has come to .

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  10. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Was "her" name Marie? That gal sure gets around, lol. "She's" contacted lots of people I know about their rooms. Suddenly can't "move" after all and needs a refund back, out of their accounts. There's some big fake checks floating around there. One of my kids just recently got a check via an employment scam. Glad they didn't get you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by