almost had new babies today...heartbroken instead :(

cymbaline

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 31, 2012
central WV
I found a friend's sister who was willing to go in on an order with me so that I could get just 3 snowy mallard girls from Ideal Poultry (to keep my two boys company). She ordered 5 Pekins, and said she'd take the "packing peanuts" too, so I thought surely all would be well. When I got to the Post Office this morning and opened the box, all 3 of my little babies were dead.
hit.gif

All the Pekins were fine, and it looks like all but 1 of the 15 roos will make it too. I am so upset. Then when I called them to tell them what happened, they offered to ship my 3 again! They wouldn't do overnight shipping or provide a heat pack though. If those 3 innocent little babies died so easily with 20 others with them, how on earth do they expect to get them here safely? I was appalled. That just seems cruel and stupid to even offer to do that.
I don't know, maybe I'm just being harsh out of so much grief. I just don't know what to do now. I can't go through that again. :(

I;m sorry, that would be flat out awful to discover. I have never dealt with shipped chicks/ducklings always picked up or hatched. Hopefully, others with experience with this hatchery can offer input, it is good they are willing to replace them, perhaps there were just too many so maybe just the trio will fare better?

I;m sorry, that would be flat out awful to discover. I have never dealt with shipped chicks/ducklings always picked up or hatched. Hopefully, others with experience with this hatchery can offer input, it is good they are willing to replace them, perhaps there were just too many so maybe just the trio will fare better?
It was terrible; I cried for about a half hour straight and have been off and on since.
I was really pleased with Ideal until today. They'd been very prompt in answering questions and helpful. And all the other (larger) ducks were fine. I guess my babies were just too tiny to stand the cold. :( Which is why it bothered me so much that they wouldn't overnight or add a heat pack...it appears that's the only way they could possibly make it from TX to WV.

That is so sad, how heartbreaking. Maybe you could wait until the weather warms up and then have them ship you "replacements".
Maybe, but I'm afraid of how much abuse little Rocky will take in the meantime from Bullwinkle. He keeps chasing him and grabbing him by the neck. A friend of mine had to separate her two boys because of how much they harassed each other and they seem so lonely...I'd hate to have to do that to my boys (she's planning on getting girls in the spring once she gets a larger pen built). I feel like I've waited too long already, that I should have been growing them some girlfriends weeks ago, but I had waited so I'd have someone to go in on the order with me because I thought that meant my little girls would be okay. :\

I really had my heart set on Snowy Mallards, but since they're so hard to obtain, I was thinking about hitting up Tractor Supply for some regular Mallards and attempting to vent sex (if they'll let me). I watched a video by John Metzer on it and it doesn't seem as scary as I had read. Worst case scenario there is that I'm not good at it and end up with more boys, and by the time I figure that out it'll be warm enough to order those "replacements". *sigh* Today was supposed to be such a happy day.

P.S. Forgot to mention that one of my friend's Pekin babies was crested...just made the jealousy even worse....such a cute little critter.

Last week I received my package from the mail post and found 2 babies hadn't made it and I lost an additional 2 that day with 10 left. I kinda thought that maybe those that didn't make it may not have been able to get at the gro gel in competition with the other ducklings that I ordered, and it seemed that they may have been trampled or pinned down unable to move. Sorry to hear about your experience. But maybe the bigger birds were a detriment to the others?

Last week I received my package from the mail post and found 2 babies hadn't made it and I lost an additional 2 that day with 10 left. I kinda thought that maybe those that didn't make it may not have been able to get at the gro gel in competition with the other ducklings that I ordered, and it seemed that they may have been trampled or pinned down unable to move. Sorry to hear about your experience. But maybe the bigger birds were a detriment to the others?
Come to think of it, I didn't even see a grogel packet even though I requested one. Anyway, I guess that's possible, you're now the second to suggest it, but would being walked/stood on really kill them all? I've obviously never done this before so maybe that does happen. I just assumed it was the cold since they were so much smaller. Either way I'm still a little perturbed that Ideal didn't say, "hey, this might be a problem".

Back
Top Bottom