ALMOST integrated......but not quite......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mominator, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Mominator

Mominator Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Killingworth, CT
    Here's the scoop: I have a flock of mixed age. 7 girls are 22 weeks of age (all standards), and 5 girls are 14 weeks of age, (3 silkies, a standard polish and an australorp). They free range together in the evenings under my direct supervision, and they even roost together. The two groups are all mixed together with the exception of the run, which they are in 99% of the time.

None of my standards will let the younger chicks out into the run, and they immediately chase them back inside when they come out of the pop hole.

I have an area sectioned off inside of the run for the younger chicks so they can have outside time, and they all get along fine and dandy when separated by deer netting. Meaning they all lay down together on either side of their respective fences, just hanging out (did that make sense?). The run is plenty big: 12 x 24 for 12 hens. I have read here that i should try making some hiding places for the chicks to escape to, but what kind of hiding places? Does anyone have some good suggestions on what i can use?

I tried taking down the divider in the run for about a week, but the chicks never came outside and when they did they were chased mercilessly. So yeah, i put the divider back up. They are terrified of the big girls in the run but do fine roosting and freeranging together. [​IMG] I am hoping for some suggestions on how to get this to work. Did i just not give the chicks long enough with the divider down? I would really appreciate some guidance from others experienced wiht this. Maybe keep the hens in the chick area in the run for a while?

thanks!
    Sandy

2. Mominator

Jun 9, 2008
    Killingworth, CT
    Anybody? [​IMG]

3. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    I'm interested in any answers too, as I'm having a tough time integrating my EEs and one lone RIR (suspected roo) with the rest of the flock. All about the same ages in my case though. They're all still babies though.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I haven't done the integration thing yet, but I read on here that someone put up a piece of plywood propped up against the coop wall (kinda teepee style) so the little ones can get behind it but not the big ones. Someone else mentioned a cardboard box with a hole cut in big enough for the little ones, but again not big enough for the big ones.

5. Mominator

Jun 9, 2008
    Killingworth, CT
    I haven't done the integration thing yet, but I read on here that someone put up a piece of plywood propped up against the coop wall (kinda teepee style) so the little ones can get behind it but not the big ones. Someone else mentioned a cardboard box with a hole cut in big enough for the little ones, but again not big enough for the big ones.

I'll have to try the tee-pee...maybe hunt around for some cardboard boxes, too.....thanks!

Any others? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by