Almost kissed the ground

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Matt A NC, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Ok, so common sense is to drink water when it is HOT and you are sweating like crazy. Well evidently the common sense part of my brain was too hot to care yesterday. I was walking back down to the henhouse when for some odd reason someone decided to start spinning the yard around me slowly and rocking it back and forth. It wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't suddenly get a headache and that sick to my stomach feeling.

It took about 10 seconds for me to realize what I had done, or not done. I had drank half a diet dew with breakfast and that was it. No water or anything from 11am(late breakfast after garden work) to 6 pm. It had been 94 degrees with very high humidity and I am extremely fat, so I had been sweating like crazy all day. Also there is no place to get cool here, this house has never had AC.

I managed to get to the water hose and started with that water. The pump was off so the only water was that in the pressure tank that was Warm, but at least it was wet. When I could walk straight(ish) I went in and got some cold water. I noticed I had a bit of Sprite Zero left so I took that back out with me to finish off.

Took about an hour to get everything back to mostly normal. I did keep a slight headache till around 10 last night.

When you hit the point of Dehydration the outward symptoms hit you fast. I never did feel thirsty. Today I have gone through 4 bottles(half liters) of water and another half a diet dew. I have been cutting back on the caffeine, but I can't resist 1 diet dew a day.

Matt

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Be well...it doesn't take long to get dehydrated when you are sweating a bunch...

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It sure doesn't. I've heard that it is better to drink warm (not cold) water when you are very dehydrated, not sure why though.

4. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

Matt,

You need to be careful! That could have been much worse. It is supose to cool off soon, keep your fingers crossed.

i went out yesterday to clean out the coops, made it about half way down the back steps and went back in. I can't take it!!

Tena

5. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Goodness Matt, glad you're doing better. Same thing happened to my hubby on Saturday. Once he drank water it ended up not staying down for long & he had a headache too. Once he napped for a bit he said he felt a lot better. He said he's not going to ignore the fact that he needs to drink water in this aweful heat again. Guess he learned his lesson. He's a diet Mtn Dew fanatic, but I've encouraged him to drink some Gatorade and less soda while the temps are so high. I believe that drinking warm water is better for you since it allows your body to process/absorb it more quickly since it's closer to your body's own temp than the cold water - the warm water can basically get into your system faster than cold water. I think that's why the Chinese drink hot tea.

[​IMG] TaLani

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Another thing about drinking sodas is that caffeine actually makes you more dehydrated. So next time you have an episode and don't want to drink plain water, get yourself a glass of lemonade to quench your thirst [​IMG]

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    If we're working out in this heat all day we drink tons of gatorade!! It's amazing the difference that you can feell!! Take care of yourself!

Missi

8. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Cold water will shock your system when you are dehydrated.

Try mixing some cold water, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt and ginger.
    Sounds crazy, but the ginger will warm your stomach and if you are so dry you throw up this will keep it down.

When you quit sweating you are in trouble.

9. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I used to work on Habitat for Humanity houses in SC. In heat like this, the crew chief MADE us drink 12 oz. of water every hour. They told us that by the time you get thirsty, you are already severely dehydrated. I could work all day in this heat, drinking hourly, and never have to go to the bathroom. That's how much you lose in perspiration.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'm right there with ya! Drink lots of water. Avoid excessive sugar and caffeine. Avoid working in the middle of the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by