Almost lost a chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LilyD, Jul 8, 2011.

1. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    So my brooder is a 2 ft by 3 ft rabbit cage that I am keeping in my coop. I have 5 babies in it that are almost 3 weeks in it and I have placed it into the coop so that the big chickens who will be 11 weeks on Tuesday so they can get used to them for when they are old enough to go out with the big chickens. It's definitely hot enough with it being 95 each day they almost need a fan more than a light. I only turn the light on at night.

Anyway I went to feed and change waters tonight and to put everyone in bed and when I opened the roof of the brooder to get the waterer one of my Cochin mixes hopped out into the big coop with the older chickens. I heard him chirping loudly and one of the big girls proceeded to peck at him and got him a few times on the head before I rounded him up and put him back in the brooder. Thank goodness he wasn't injured but it sure made my heart beat fast thinking that one of the roos was going to grab him and take off for a snack ick.

Here is the offending baby lol so happy he's okay.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking he is a he but I could be wrong he's not very old after all.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    That was a close call, I'm glad he's okay! Chickens find ways to keep you on your toes, don't they?

He looks very bright and alert (if this was taken after the attack). That's a good sign.

3. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Yeah he was more mad than anything else. He is like a little Napoleon he thinks his britches are bigger than they are. I don't think he realized he was in trouble until I snagged him up lol.

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    He is so cute Lily!!

5. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Thanks, he is a Cochin cross from my sisters eggs. I wanted him to be a girl but I am attached now so he might have to stay lol. Out of 5 hatched 3 are boys I think and only 2 girls. The odds were definitely not in my favor in that hatching hehe. He and his brother are twice the size of the other chicks. I have, two Buff Orpingtons (a boy and girl) and one Ameraucana (girl). Can't wait to see what his coloring is like when he grows up.

6. SoFluffy

SoFluffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    chicks are small but agile, which is possibly why he/she managed to escape unharmed

7. LilyD

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:I think the big kids were almost as shocked as I was that he tried to join them. If they had all been trying and not just staring I think he would have been done for because there would have been no way I could have gotten him away from them but only two were really pecking and it was more like they were exploring than really trying to eat him thank goodness. Two more weeks and they will move to the Juvenile coop with their own run so they can be next to the biggies but safe from them. Hopefully they can learn to be friends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by