Almost Lost A Finger To An African Grey Parrot

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Cowboy_Shamblin, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Cowboy_Shamblin

Cowboy_Shamblin In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Elk City
    When I was 13 an African Grey Parrot bit my finger half way off, and I have big fingers. Parents must be careful having parrots around children. Left a big scar on my left index finger.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Yup..very true. Parrots can do some serious damage to fingers.

3. Oh yeah... they can be nasty... My african grey... curently is not a problem... Very Friendly... but that might change when he grows up and breeding season kicks in about 5 years from now.

My Blue and Gold is out for Blood.... 48 hours after I moved him and his mate into a new cage... and he still wants to kill me... If he sees me and cant get to me, he attacks the female... if he does not see me... he's fine and leaves her alone. I did not want to take the chance so I had to move him out of his new cage and put him back in the "Introduction cage". His female stayed in there new cage... shes doing fine.. Very friendly... poor thing... its so sad that her boyfriend is abusive.

the blue and gold will stay in the "Introduction cage" for a few weeks... until he calms down... Im getting 2 new blue and gold males in 2 weeks... so I might just use one of those males with my blue and gold female... Figure give her a better husband than some jerk.

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Dear god.. I'd never mess with a macaw! Those beaks are HUGE!! [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Any large parrot can remove appendages. Very painful. A good reminder to always monitor children around all pets.

6. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Songster

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    well if you watch body lauge they will tell you if they playing or going to bite the snot outa you

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yup.. and if their eyes are pinning...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by