1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Almost lost a quail today phew...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Attack Chicken, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Was putting them in the big dog kennal so they could dust, fly and do whatever else they do. Closed the door to put another in a cage and the door came open and out came my Tux male Psycho. Flew over 50 feet over the fence into my neighbors yard [​IMG]
    Ran over there and looked on the ground. I swore that thing went under her deck, so I went on the deck and lo and behold there he was next to the neighbors house and between two trashbags. [​IMG] Thought something was wrong with him but I believe he was just in shock as he lost a few feathers.
    Took him back and put him with the others and after awhile he was fine. Good thing I found him or he'd be out in this icestorm we are getting now.[​IMG]

AC

2. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Glad you were able to get him back. [​IMG]

3. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    I know the feelin'! Had a few escapees within the past year or so (Bobs), but hey, they know where their bread's buttered........they normally come back to be caught within 24 hours.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quick Lil Buggerz Arent They? [​IMG]

5. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Its ran thru my mind to pinion my breeder stock. Is this worth the effort or am I just evil for wanting to hack off wing tips... Bill

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:I PINION ALL MY BREEDERS, BUT I HAVE MANY THAT ARE ALOT WORSE THAN COTURNIX.

7. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I was'nt think'in of the cots, they dont seem to want to go anywhere. I had in mind to pinion the bobs that are due to hatch,well today. How old are they when you clip wings? One or both? Bill

8. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Yep, and they somehow know there's a 8" x 10" hole in the doorway that makes enough opening for the "big escape".............BUT, then they're 80 yards away in the big oak tree thinkin'....."Uhhhhhh, what do I do now????"..............

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:USUALLY 2-3 WKS OLD AND JUST 1 WING

10. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    I don't judge anyone, but pinioning a coturnix is like putting a speed control on a a tricycle. Just me, and I don't have as many, or as many different birds as anyone else....but, DARN!

Coturnix generally fall out of the pen, and sit there waiting for the feed monster to scoop them up and put them back into the pen.. The more ambitious will peck at my shoes...."HEY FEED MONSTER...I"M DONE WITH THE GREAT OUTDOORS!" "Put me back where I belong"!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by