Almost New Chicken owner in NC

Nanny Deb

Songster
5 Years
May 25, 2017
NC
My husband and I just bought a little barn house in the NC mountains. The neighbor has about 10 chickens and 1 rooster who like to spend most of their time in my yard. Crazy as others think I have become fond of these chickens and after the birth of my neighbors twins, their time is none. I am hoping they consider selling them to me, as they (the chickens) spend much of their time in my place and i feed them. (I don't believe they get much care at home). Either way this experience has helped us decided & we want Chickens. We are looking into the best coop, and I am doing research to care for them. I am a cancer patient / survivor and there is something so peaceful about hanging out with the chicks! :)

My husband and I just bought a little barn house in the NC mountains. The neighbor has about 10 chickens and 1 rooster who like to spend most of their time in my yard. Crazy as others think I have become fond of these chickens and after the birth of my neighbors twins, their time is none. I am hoping they consider selling them to me, since they spend time in my place i feet them. (I don't believe they get much care at home). Either way this experience has helped us decided & we want Chickens. We are looking into the best coop, and I am doing research to care for them. I am a cancer patient / survivor and there is something so peaceful about hanging out with the chicks! :)
Welcome to BYC.
Chickens are wonderful pets and they can provide food.
How cool/neat is that!

Chickens are very therapeutic, and entertaining. Who doesn't like sitting down and watching the "daily chicken show?" We call it chicken TV, no reruns, live performances, no cable or satellite bills. Wow!! :welcome

Also a cancer survivor and love, love, love my animals. They give me purpose..I have to be here for them. Welcome to BYC. Coops can run thousands of dollars and then you find out they are not "the best thing"....take my word on that. I bought my first one for $3000 (wish somebody had kicked me in the britches) and man would I change a lot of things on it that are a pain in my behind. Since then, I build cheap ones and I did buy one little coop from the feed store which I call my "maternity coop". More importantly is whatever coop you decide on, make sure it has enough room (and a little extra room cause you're gonna want more chickens) for all your chickens.

I saw a shed for $1600.. 10x12
I wasn't impressed with the way the floor was laid out. ( cut corners for a few extra 2x4s. I agree with you totally. This is why I did it myself and I'd like to kick myself in the ... :)
Why is it that we have to do it ourselves even when our money "still" can't buy us what we want. Had I bought the shell, I would of added the extra wood myself.

Back
Top Bottom