Almost one year old Chicken Mama

kikylou

Hatching
Feb 23, 2017
Hello Everyone,

My name is Kristy and I am from a small town in PA. My husband bought me 8 black sex link chickens last year for my birthday, they are almost a year old now. I just love them to pieces, wish I could make them a little more friendly though. I have frequent this site in the past year so I figured it was time to join. I have learned a lot from this site over the year with being a new chicken mama. We have lots of new spring plans for the chickens, we are making their run bigger and going to make them new feeders.
D.gif

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kristy and I am from a small town in PA. My husband bought me 8 black sex link chickens last year for my birthday, they are almost a year old now. I just love them to pieces, wish I could make them a little more friendly though. I have frequent this site in the past year so I figured it was time to join. I have learned a lot from this site over the year with being a new chicken mama. We have lots of new spring plans for the chickens, we are making their run bigger and going to make them new feeders.
D.gif

Welcome!! Some breeds are not interested in being friendly, but if you want to try-----go out and sit with a treat daily try to allow your hand to touch them a little to start as they are getting the treats---see if they will eat it out your hand. Give them some time. Messing with them a lot as chicks usually helps.

G’Day from down under kikylou
frow.gif
Welcome!

Most chickens love meal worms and anyone who is doling them out
wink.png

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
smile.png

Greetings from Kansas, Kristy, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! I agree with the above advice. What I do is when I can get close enough to reach down and slowly and catch a bird - not chase it down, but grab it when it's eating - is to to walk around the yard with it under arm and pet it. Then after a couple minutes I set it down and walk away. Seems like if I try and pick it up again right away it is skittish....but by walking away it seems to make the connection (if chickens can actually make a connection) that I'm not a threat and they don't seem as skittish the next time. That's what works for me, anyway. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom