1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Almost ready for layer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by montverdechick, Jun 29, 2007.

1. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    My girls are 16 weeks old now. Can't believe how time has flown. Anyway, just wondering when to start giving them crushed oyster shell? Do I give it as grit or mix it in the food? How much? Thanks all!!

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    You should provide Oyster Shell free-choice (all the time) once they begin laying. Dont worry about measuring it. They will eat what they need when they need it. [​IMG] No need to mix it in the food, just provide a seperate dish of it thats available at all times. [​IMG]

3. Jimagination

Jimagination Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    What about my chicks that are 5 weeks younger? SHould I worry about them getting to it?

4. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    You don't want pullets to have oyster shell. There's a reason, I think they get too much calcium too early, but I'm not positive on that. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I just know that only laying hens need the added calcium oyster shell provides. If pullets get a little of it, I wouldn't worry, but if they have free choice, you could have problems.

5. Jimagination

Jimagination Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Lancaster, PA
    Anyone have any ideas on how I could give it to my older hens and not my younger ones and what about my rooster?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by