Almost There!

cogorman

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
MidMissouri
I just wanted to show off my new coop which just needs some finishing touches. I still need to add roosts inside and out, add more ventilation on the north side, and finish grading for drainage problems. This was the best design I could come up with and because of budget limitations and city restrictions there is not much I could change if I wanted to. 6 six-week-old chickies are already using it. The coop is 6 x 12 overall. The hen house is 3 x 6 and the remaining space is the run. I might have to reduce my flock by 1 because 1 is looking mighty rooster like suddenly. The cost so far is just under $200. A friend, my son, and I scounged everything except the roof, fasteners, and two pieces of plywood.

53045_dscn0558.jpg

53045_dscn0562.jpg

53045_dscn0590.jpg

53045_dscn0624.jpg

Yes nice coop.

Just one thing, maybe I just don't see it, but where does the water go when it rains? It looks like the water that runs off the shed goes into the coop and the water off the coop will run into the shed.

Good Question! The roof pannels were on sale and discontinued so I got them for a good price. They only had 12 footers so the grooves run parrallel to the length of the coop, which I thought wouldn't work. But they bend easily that direction so they are tucked way up under eve of the shed, forming a nice valley between the two. I was still a little worried until we had like 3 weeks of solid rain and the inside stayed 100% dry, except for splashes from raindrops the size of softballs! On both ends of the valleys I'm going to run downspouts. I'm lurking over a demolition site waiting to snag it when it comes off. Timing, a big smile, and a few beers should get me what I need.
droolin.gif

Quote:
Go with the cheapest you can get. Sometimes places that do septic tanks, cement work or heavy construction are the best. The coop looks awesome.

Back
Top Bottom