almost time ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DaveK88, Jul 16, 2011.

1. DaveK88

DaveK88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Killingly Ct.
    I have noticed that my girls have been in the nest boxes. I have been checking them daily and when I opened them yesterday one of them sitting in the box. I have also noticed some droppings in the boxes too. They are about 18 weeks old now, there combs and waddles are getting bright red. Is the fact that they are exploring the nest boxes any indication that they are about to start laying? or are they just curious about them. just curious. Thanks.

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

could be either or both? [​IMG]

3. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Yep I think there getting ready. Mine are 19 weeks and just started laying 4 days ago and I've been seeing them go in and out of the nesting boxes for a couple weeks now. I know my buff orp is one of my layers but there's another one but can't figure out who yet bc I've seen my delaware buffs and my BA go in the boxes but not my rir. About half of them are red in the face and I go to pet them and they crouch down! Good luck!!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    18 weeks, combs and wattles getting red and checking out the nest boxes? Yep, they're thinking about it! Might be a week or two still, but get ready! [​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Huevos Ranchero's coming your way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by