Almost week old chick with huge crop

Stephiibee07

Hatching
Apr 28, 2020
I’ve noticed one of my light Brahma chicks has stopped growing. She looks like the runt compared to the other Brahma chicks. She has a HUGE crop, very soft, not hard. Crop has definitely increased in size in the last 24-48 hrs She’s eating and drinking like normal. I often see her sleeping stretched out on her side, and even on her back. Anything i should be doing?

I don't have much experience, but this happened to me a couple weeks ago. Do you have them on wood shavings? My chicken guru had me take out all the shavings and put in sand (fortunately I happened to have some). The next morning crop was normal. Perhaps she had eaten a wood shaving or perhaps I just didn't know what a normal evening crop looked like.
Hope that helps some

Thank you! I was using shavings. I took that out immediately and used some sand from my riding arena. The chick still has a huge crop. Is drinking and eating like a pig, still going to the bathroom. I have been pulling the food at night and the crop does get smaller, and firmer feeling by morning. By mid day/ evening it’s back to huge and squishy feeling. I have been doing a lot of reading on crop issues, but haven’t found much information on crop issues is chicks.

This is After a night with no food. Still huge, but smaller than her evening crop size

Attachments

• 2154FAE4-9711-49FE-8887-B6354B791631.jpeg
    2154FAE4-9711-49FE-8887-B6354B791631.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 0875CAC4-69E5-4DA5-BD35-FA60E05FB6E5.jpeg
    0875CAC4-69E5-4DA5-BD35-FA60E05FB6E5.jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 13
I got worried about this before. I think they do sometimes get big crops like that. My chicks often had this when they ate too much, the little greedy guts but they've always been fine.

I got worried about this before. I think they do sometimes get big crops like that. My chicks often had this when they ate too much, the little greedy guts but they've always been fine.

this chick is visibly smaller than the others, and doesn’t stand up straight like the others from her hatch. walks like she’s weighted down in her front end. I first noticed the crop when I saw the other chicks growing at a faster rate.

Back
Top Bottom