almost white egg from black copper marans pullet

Gooter

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
central VA
Thought I'd see how common this might be??? I just got a couple black copper marans pullets from a reputable breeder here (and I've purchased some quality birds from her in the past). One of them just laid me an egg today...a little pullet egg. But it's nearly white. Lighter than any of my other hens eggs that I have laying. Is there hope the eggs will darken?

I'm not in to showing or anything, but I love the dark eggs...which is why I got these 2 pullets. When my Welsummer girls started laying this past spring their eggs were splattered with the darker brown and it took them a little while to settle in to their coloring. I really like these 2 pullets - they're beautiful and very friendly girls. Just wanted some dark eggs mixed in with my other stuff. You think the eggs will eventually darken up on this girl?

I just had 2 marans start laying in the last two weeks. The first little eggs were quite light in color and have darkened more with each successive egg. Good luck to you and your hens!!

I have 17 chickens... Oldest now is 8 months old..
Out of my layers/2 roosters.. I have about I think only 5 laying.. No dark brown egg yet

Boo hoooo

But I have one black copper maran, so I hope she isn't one who is laying..lol
If so, no dark egg....errrrrrrrrr

I did get a pinkish one yesterday, now I was Sykes about that, I have no idea who laid that one..
Xxoxoxo

My experience is just the opposite. All of the first eggs were EXTREMELY DARK... and then they lighten or speckle up with time, until after a molt and then dark again at the first part of the laying cycle.

Back
Top Bottom