Aloha! Finally joined!

HuliHuliMoa

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2016
New England
Hello (Aloha)! I have been browsing for a couple months and finally decided to join! I did so much research here before we started our little flock, and I am happy to be here!

We live in MA (although we are originally from Hawaii....someday I will go back...). I have 2 kids (9 and 5) and a husband who all have been waiting for a long time to own chickens! I am a high school teacher and have worked with animals as a vet tech for almost 20 years. I know much more about psittacines than chickens though, although I am seeing so many similarities!

I have a young flock--my "oldest" chicken is 5 months old! I started my flock with some mixed breed Bantams (lol who knows what exact breed they are!) from a little farm I take my students to. Sadly, out of the 6 chickens I brought home , FIVE were boys! And then I lost my one bantam female to a raccoon that got into our enclosed area. Unfortunately we can't own roosters in our town--I gave the 3 trouble makers to my friend who has enough land to take roosters and kept the 2 quiet (errr...sorta), non-aggressive ones for now, at least until someone complains. Our friend is more than happy to take them though, so they will have somewhere to go if my town cracks down.

When I brought those guys home I also adopted a young hen which I think is an EE or some type of RIR cross. Her name is Mama Gumbo lol. I had no say in that name...

I recently added another Bantam female from the original farm and three Cochin/Rhode Island red cross females, they are about 8 weeks old (I am a little suspicious of one of them...but I feel pretty good after researching all day that she is a hen...). I also added a Silkie which I also now (sadly) think is a male. Augh my daughter just HAD to have one....He/she is also about 6-8 weeks old.

So...I have 8 chickens in all--5 hens and 3 roos. We absolutely adore them and they are so much fun to watch and learn about!

Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will!

Hi, and :welcome

Right above the post box, there should be several little boxes with options in them: Bold, attachment, photos, etc. Photo is the little square with a mountain in it. it should be pretty simple from there :)

Thank you! Here is an attempt!

There's my little silkie (most likely a roo), a roo bantam, and 3 (hopefully) Cochin/RIR cross hens!

Once I download a picture of my questionable female I will post it!

I just tried to post a picture but I got an error message? Something about it had to go to the moderators? It was one of my own pictures :-(

Edited: Ok it's all good!

Last edited:
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
Thanks for joining us!

Ok found it! I am soooo impatient LOL!

Here is another picture! They are in an enclosed area...too many predators in our area, sadly. I wish I could let them roam free, but we did create a large area for them (and looking to make it bigger)! This is just a very small part of where they hang out!

We put hay down everywhere because the ground is soft and when it rains, it becomes a muddy mess :-(

Back
Top Bottom