Aloha from Hawaii

Puna Chick

Hatching
7 Years
May 29, 2012
Keaau, HI (Big Island)
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here and I'm from the Big Island of Hawaii. I have 3 Japanese Bantams, 2 Bantam Cochins, and 4 Buff Orpingtons.

I'm also interested in getting some Black Copper Marans but, it's hard getting them here. I hate it when they treat Hawaii like a third world country and exclude us from shipping chicks over here:(

I hope to make many friends here and hope to find someone that will help me out in my Black Copper Maran quest.

~May

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Hello and :welcome

You should check out Where am I, where are you - not sure if there's a Hawaii thread, but there should be! Anyway, I know lots of folks on BYC who live there. Maybe some of them could help you :)

Good luck!!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Aloha from Maui,

Finding the right source for chicks is so much harder when practically no one will ship to you. There are local hatcheries, Asagi on Oahu, and Hale Malu (they for sure have Marans) on Maui. I assume both ship to the other islands. I heard a rumor that the McMurry hatchery would ship here. You'd have to make special arrangements with them over the phone. On Maui we also get lots of people moving their birds on craigslist. I got all 8 of my Muscovy ducks that way. I got my Easter Eggers by placing a wanted add on craigslist. We also bought chicks from Dell's feed store this spring, but the breed choice were real limited.

I'm eager to hear about other islanders poultry experiences. Do you have any pics of your flock? Are your Buff Orpingtons sweet as pie? I've never kept them but they're said to have the nicest personalities.

Back
Top Bottom