1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aloha from Hawaii!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amestd4066, Oct 14, 2013.

1. amestd4066

amestd4066 New Egg

Oct 14, 2013
    My dream is to eventually own and operate a farm here on Oahu raising dairy goats, laying hens, and fryers for both personal and commercial purposes. Gotta start a little smaller, though, because we currently live in a smaller house with a limited yard. Of course, by smaller I mean a couple of hens occupying a space in our backyard with free-range access during the day.

I've read Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, Backyard Chickens for Dummies, and a handful of other whitepapers and guides about chickens. I'm pretty sure that the first couple of gals I get will be Buff Orps, and am very excited to make them a part of our family (egg laying and centipede eating will be their only chores - sweet deal for them)! My biggest question concerns acclimatizing my dogs to the hens so that predation doesn't become a problem during free-range hours. If anyone has had experience in this regard and is willing to share some advice or anecdotes, I'd love to read your response. Thanks!

Tim

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

I have a Brittney, she is a bird dog. when we first got chickens we were so worried about her attacking them we kept them separated. Now a chicken can ride on her back and our Jack Russell will stay out all night guarding and patrolling the coops. If your dogs listen well to your commands it wont take long for them to figure out the chickens are part of the family.

BYC the greatest site ever[​IMG]

Welcome and enjoy[​IMG]

Steve[​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Personally I wouldn't leave dogs unsupervised with chickens, but that's just my opinion. I have a Chihuahua who is too small to do much damage but he is still not allowed access. Good luck to you!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Happy you joined!

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG] - good luck in your chicken venture.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I agree with Liz, it's best to err on the side of caution. I would have dogs locked up when chickens are free ranging. Many dogs regard chickens as squeaky toys and grab and shake them till they stop squeaking and then grab another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by