Aloha from Hawaii!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amberskyfire, Jan 31, 2014.

1. amberskyfire

amberskyfire New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    Hawaii's Big Island
    I have been wanting chickens for years and just got started a few months ago. I'm still looking around for forum rules, etc.

I built a coop out of scraps in the garage and some purchased chicken wire. I have two pretty little hens: an Easter egger and a Rhode Island Red. These girls are my startup chickens, given to me free by a friend who was keeping them but got sick of them letting themselves into her house on hot days and pooping on the carpet. They are a couple of years old, so they aren't great layers, but I'm having a lot of fun with them and learning quite a bit. I'm glad to start with these as they do have a couple of issues as older and free hens tend to and I like that I can learn how to deal with certain issues with chickens that I'm not expecting a lot from. Mostly, they are pets.

I don't feed them much feed. Mostly, they eat kitchen scraps and they free-range in the yard which is chock-full of bugs and lizards. I toss scratch grains out to them in the evenings to get them shut up in the coop for bedtime. I crush their eggshells and feed them back to them. I like to keep a feed pan on the kitchen counter and toss food scraps in it to take out to them.

I knew that I would love watching them and that I would love eating their eggs, but nothing prepared me for how truly awesome they are. They take care of all my kitchen scraps! Happily! And they completely weeded and tilled my empty winter garden. One less thing I have to do. I'll have to put bird netting around it when it's planted but for now, I'm happy as a clam. Also, wherever I put the coop gets cleared and fertilized for a new garden in a matter of weeks. They have saved me so much time! I'm loving this.

Hoping to learn a lot more from you all! I have been looking for information specific to raising hens in Hawaii because we don't get the cold weather here. I haven't found much useful yet, but I'm learning from friends here who have chickens.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC! Enjoy all your poultry adventures!

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Aloha Islander [​IMG] great to have you here [​IMG]

4. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

I mean...Aloha to BYC!!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Just mentioning Hawaii has taken me from this frozen no-man's land with 6-12" inches of snow coming tomorrow- to palm trees and warm breezes and somewhere in the distance the sound of IZ playing 'Somewhere over the rainbow.' Mahalo. Just opened my eyes and yep, the snow is still here.

6. Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I give my chickens all the kitchen scraps too.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Good luck with your birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by