ALOHA - we love chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BigIslandChicks, Nov 11, 2010.

1. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    HI fellow chicken peeps!!

we live on the big island of Hawaii - at a cool elevation around 2,000 ft. above sea level - no more ocean view now that we moved but we have a beautiful view of Mauna Kea - the big dormant volcano almost 14,000 ft. hopefully we get lots of snow up there this year so we can see it from our lanai! my birthday is friday and i only want more chickens!!! i have 2 little baby girls ages 2 and 1, and we love animals and plants!! i collect orchids - there are about as many beautiful chickens as there are orchids - so i am in real trouble [​IMG] i need one of each! luckily our neighborhood is zoned for agriculture so our roo's are no problem (although they havent started to crow just yet, but it will be very soon...i got them from my old neighbor who got 10 "pullets" that turned out to be 8 roo's - so he needed to get rid of a few, i think they are about 8-10 mo. old now)
    we finally joined BYC after checking it out for months. we just moved and the coop rebuild has been quite an adventure!! we finally have gotten it to an OK setup - but more improvements need to be made. we have only been raising chickens for a little over 3 months now and we love it and them!!! right now we have 2 barred rock roo's and 4 hens, (2 of them are close to laying - combs have started to change to a red color more than pink - and hopefully the other 2 arent far behind them!!) 1 white leghorn - who will start laying again soon - the move has her a little shaken up, 1 wild mamma hen and her last lonely 2 mo. old chick - we have lost the other 4 to cats over the last 2 weeks [​IMG] so now little snickerdoodle has been rescued and put into a little pen of his or her own. ( and momma now refuses to come in at night, since i rescued her last chick from the cat, she has been sleeping in the tree above the coop)
    - we want and need more chickens!!

we are so glad to be here and look forward to this forum [​IMG]

mahalo for all the great info, tips and posts

ahui ho'u (until we meet again...)

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    ALOHA! And welcome to BYC [​IMG] I love the Big Island. When you are able, would love to see some pictures of your set up and birds. I've gotten so much good info from this site and hope you will find it just as helpful.

3. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    [​IMG] from Texas, love to see pics

4. redfeather

redfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Hey and welcome to BYC!

Chickens on Hawaii, how exciting. You could definately keep some of the more "fragile" cold sensetive breeds there in your paradise of a climate!

My aunt and uncle live on Maui, used to live in Paia... I remember hearing them complain about all the wild chickens they had running around there --- roosters people set free. Good for you for taking some off your neighbor's hands!

5. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    [​IMG] From Arkansas.

6. bantiebabe1200

bantiebabe1200 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Ennis, Montana
    Aloha! and [​IMG] from SW Montana! Sounds like your doing great with your chickens already! I know you'll have lots of fun here. I'd love to see pics also!

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome from Oregon!!

8. MsL

MsL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Hello from California!

9. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    [​IMG]

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. Would love to see pics of your orchids and chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by