Aloha Ya'll

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AudieH, Apr 21, 2019.

1. AudieH

AudieH Chirping

Apr 20, 2019
    Maui, HI
    Hello everyone! I am new to the group and found it by searching for ways to keep mongoose away from my chickens. We recently relocated to Maui from Texas about a year and a half ago for a semi working retirement. I am an herbalist and we are in the very early stages of starting a green tea and herb farm.

I am also semi new to chickens. I grew up helping care for chickens and never really cared for them much. It was part of our chores to collect the eggs. The coop was nasty, slippery with mud and poo and the chicken were mean little buggers! However, as I aged so did the standards for caring for chickens as pets. I have always been a pet breeder (chinchillas and fennec foxes mostly) but also had an open door policy for exotic pet rescues. (We have housed, cats, dogs, ducks, rabbits, hedgehogs, ferrets, sugar gliders, and countless other pets people discovered were too difficult to care for.

Now that the kids are grown and out on their own, we just have our cat and chickens. We found a local breeder here on Maui that had Silkies, but before we could purchase and build our coop, a mongoose got into his run and killed all the silkies. He did however have 5 other breeds too young to be in the run, so we were able to get 2 each of Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Ameraucana, Leghorn, and Plymouth Rock. 1 of the Leghorn chicks did not thrive so we now have 9 beautiful chickens. Minerva, Bellatix, Buelah, Blanche, Beaker, Not the Beaker, Valerie, Nine of Ten from uni matrix 2.0.1.8 (Nine for short) and our surprise Rooster Bunsen.

We love all of our spoiled babies and write stories about them often.

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC - it’s great that you have joined us. Please make yourself at home.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

3. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

4. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! :frow

penny1960, fldiver97, AudieH and 7 others like this.
  5. Cadence A Waller

Cadence A Waller Crowing

Feb 5, 2019
    Ohio
    Welcome to BYC! :frow So glad you decided to join! :celebrate

penny1960, fldiver97, AudieH and 9 others like this.
  6. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    1/2" hardware cloth very securely stapled over all openings, tightly secured doors and maybe hot wires and you will not have losses to a mongoose. Good luck with your new flock and fledgling businesses.

7. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun! :wee

penny1960, fldiver97, AudieH and 6 others like this.
  8. honeythechicken

honeythechicken Songster

Jan 1, 2017
    Buckinghamshire England
    [​IMG]
    :welcome Good luck with your flock!

9. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    57B900FE-BD45-4F52-A6B3-4ED5C4DBEA80.jpeg
    Welcome to BYC!
    Happy Easter :bun:jumpy

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    penny1960, fldiver97, AudieH and 7 others like this.
  10. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi & :welcome

Great that you could join us all here! Lovely intro there! Enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: