Alone baby chick :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FatBurrito, Jun 19, 2017.

1. FatBurrito

FatBurrito Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2017
    So our hatched three chicks,two of which were lost later on and our mother hen died.This chick is about 6 weeks old and is really lonely,our other chickens are huge and have no interest in it.We keep it in because our chicks always escaped when we let them out for a short period of time.We don't know what to do,please help.We can't get any more chickens though although we do have a recently hatched baby chick.

2. firestomp

firestomp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    Indianapolis
    If you can't keep it, run an add on craigs list for a good home, the other chickens will tolerate it but it will be the lowest ranking and be pushed around even as an adult, unless it's a rooster, he may become dominant. What happened to the mother that hatched these 3? And have you had any other deaths from adults? Giving or selling to another home isn't cruel or unreasonable at all. I let broody hens hatch out some eggs, them give them to folks. Some want them to raise, some for meat when they are older. I have all the stock I want and enjoy watching the chicks and giving them to people. It costs me very little and helps others get started. OR, feed a family.

3. FatBurrito

Apr 21, 2017
    In my post I had stated that the mother hen had passed.We loved the mother hen dearly and this baby is all we have left of her but it's so lonely.We have another baby chick but the baby is way smaller and they don't get along but they don't hate each other either

4. firestomp

firestomp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    Indianapolis
    What if you put them together with a piece of wire mesh to separate them, but can easily see each other for about a week. Then place both in a new area (a neutral zone) and see how that works out. They may be pals, or the older still dominant, but they will both be at the bottom of the pecking order. I did an article on pecking order if you want to go to it.

5. FatBurrito

Apr 21, 2017
    That's interesting.My chickens don't really have a pecking order,do all chickens? They all treat each other the same but the older ones don't interact with the smaller ones.The thing is we've been raising the baby chick in our house since we hatched it with an incubator and it's super tamed and attached to us
    I like your idea but I'm still unsure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by