ALOT of blood need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TownhouseSeramas, Dec 9, 2011.

1. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    My Serama hen has had a nail torn off and I cant stop the bleeding. If she's lost as much as it looks im really worried. I've been holding pressure for about 15 mins and it hasnT stopped. I dont have anything for this type of problem and her toe the small one is to small to wrap. so please help i need ideas! Excuse typing im using one hand

2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    if you dab corn starch on the wound it should clot it and stop it from bleeding

3. TownhouseSeramas

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:I dont know if i have any but ill look. THANK YOU

4. TownhouseSeramas

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    It seems like it may have worked, I'll have to keep watching, but thank you!

5. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Peroxide can help stop bleeding and in a pinch any powder will do (even flour, baking powder, etc.) All will help if you apply pressure and then pack the wound w/it.

6. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

After the flour/cornstarch stops the bleeding, you might want to pack gauze pads (non-stick) on the toe pad and wrap the foot (not to tightly) with gauze, then wrap that with vetwrap if you have it (also called coflex). The 99cents stores around me carry it. Then put your bird in a clean crate or box in your house or garage where it won't be too cold and watch it. Make sure it is eating and drinking. If you remove the bandaging, be careful not to rip off any scabs, cutting away the material or soaking it is better than tearing it off, or the bleeding might start again.

You can wrap the whole foot if it is easier, I have done that for breaks and similar injuries on my birds.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  7. TownhouseSeramas

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    It worked thank you guys SO MUCH. I was really worried. I found a way to wrap her toe too. So I dipped a piece of paper towel in the corn starch and wrapped it around the toe and used tape to hold it. I put her in a seperate pen and I'll check on her in the morning.

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Spider webs will work as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by