alot of "glass"????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nochickensyet, Dec 18, 2008.

1. nochickensyet

nochickensyet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2008
    Bonneau, South Carolina
    I am slowly trying to read though all the posts....and maybe my ? is in there somewhere, I just havn't got to it yet.[​IMG]
    The ? is.......... can ya use alot of "plexiglass" on the coop? I found this great "how to " book on building sheds..... (i'm usin one of those shed plans for my coop), and there's this one plan that has three large plexi glass sheets in the very front of the shed and it extends into the roof area. Whould something like that scare the chickens. They would be able to see things...hawks or whatever flyin over head. It sure would let alot of light in..
    Has anyone ever use somethin like that?
    Kelly

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It's going to make your coop too hot in SC, unless it is permanently and totally shaded by a large evergreen tree or sumpin' like that.

I'd really suggest a totally solid (opaque) roof, and make all windows openable. Having plexiglass panels that hinge or bolt on to cover a large hardwarecloth-screened window would be fine of course.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    It could indeed get warm, moreover, plexiglass doesn't age well. By "age", I mean make it a week without looking like you dragged it behind a truck.

4. nochickensyet

nochickensyet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2008
    Bonneau, South Carolina
    thank yall so much for your help. What about clear sheets of fiberglass sun panels for part of the roof ? The coop will be in alot of shade with huge pine trees over head. And Pat, you aint kiddin about the HEAT !!! It is still 80 degrees here.......and it's DECEMBER for goodness sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And Pat, I loved your ventilation page. That will be very helpful. I am slowly getting the stuff to build the coop together. When I get everythin I will start the build.
    Thanks again. Kelly

5. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  6. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I know the design you are thinking of and have considered something like it here in the PNW. Remember our summers are not like yours, they are only a few weeks long with maybe 1 wk that gets over 80 (so not kidding).

If I lived somewhere sunny and warm I would probably still consider it because I think the extra light in the winter would be so nice and healthy for the hens. However I would pay a lot of attention to how hot it might get and perhaps consider a window setup where most or all of the "glass" could come out, in the summer, for an "enclosed porch effect". Placing the coop in such a manner so that deciduous trees could shade it (the coop) on long hot summer afternoons would help also.

7. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:I love your coop and the windows are perfect! [​IMG]

8. lisebarb

lisebarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Holy smokes! Even I could live in something like that! What a great job!
    [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I can't even imagine what 80F feels like now. Brrrr... Yeah, PNW summer heat advisory warnings go out when it gets in the 80's.. and as said before, that's like at most a week a year.

I'd avoid too much of it in a hot area with sun. It would be like an oven!

10. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I have eight plexiglass windows on my layer coop and have had no problems with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by