ALOT of newbie questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Newbiechickens, May 1, 2007.

1. Newbiechickens

Newbiechickens New Egg

May 1, 2007
    Ok so I live in a city but I have a nice backyard, I also purchused 8 baby chickens from a local petstore, it was a spure of the moment thing, I wasnt prepared and I should have researched them first, but thats why Im here, My dad is going to build me a nice chicken coop, is there any mandatory needs for these babys? Im not sure of theyre age but I will put photos that may help, but my questions are..

I had 8 two weeks ago, I have 6 now, two passed away and im not sure why, they have clean water, and plenty of food, im not sure what kind it is I got it from the petstore, what kind should I buy them? can they have treats?

Why do theyre butts get caked with poop? Im constantly bathing them because of it, can i stop it?

Iv kept them in a huge bird cage with a heat uv light and a regular heater that plugs into a light socket, but I put them outside in a huge dog kennel for the day today, is that fine? there is nothing in the grass and they cant excape, they are in the shade and have fresh food/water.

Also can i tell if they are male/females? I think i have three boys and three girls left, the smaller ones with big breast look like girls and the longer/taller ones look like roosters, can i keep roosters togather once theyre older?

anything important I need to know?

I really should have researched them first but the pet store lady acted like it would be an easy job,but shes also the lady that sells iguanas with heat rocks and puppys for 20$ each without shots or anything, She encourages breeding, I encourage spay/neuter. I rescue feral cats and tame them, and get alot of the city cats spayed/neutered/re-released and I rescue pitbulls as well, Iv rescued a tiny orphaned possum that was in my backyard stiff for two days in the exact same spot, I figured his mom would get him but he just stood on the ledge (hes at the zoo now), Iv bottle fed many tiny kittens, but chickens seem to be a big different from all the animals Iv rescued/fostered.

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    You can go to BYC's home page for starters and read Raising Chickens 101. That would probably be a big help to you to get started!

3. Newbiechickens

Newbiechickens New Egg

May 1, 2007
    more questions I just thought of.. sorry.. ok

Is it bad that my dad wants to eat theyre eggs? Can he? is it cruel?

does anyone know about what they will look like once theyre older?

and everyones probly woundering my age since I keep asking about my dad, Im 17, Iv been working with animals since i was 11, I homeschooled so it was pretty easy, I snuck kittens for the abondon building next door, I was 11 then, well untill my parents wised up to get them spayed/neutered.

I also got my first tiny tiny kittens when I was 112, six white kittens, theyre mother got hit by a car 4 days after she had them, they all lived ^.^

OH and here is pictures..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Of Course it's not bad!! Can eat both eggs and chickens...just like from the store only much better!!!

If you check out a site on the web called feathersite you can look up their breed and see all kinds of pics!

5. iwanteggs

iwanteggs Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Just read the two sites mentioned. Everything you need is there. McMurry Hatchery has a little get started section also. I just raised 7 chicks. They are 4 weeks old now. That chicken in the picture is 1 week old - give or take - a day or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by