1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alot of rain and chickens in alot of manure

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by latravis72, Feb 6, 2015.

1. latravis72

latravis72 New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Could this hurt my eggs or cause me to get sick? The coop is dry but their outside area has been saturated with rain and now smells like a Hog lot.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If your hens are healthy, it won't affect the eggs if laid in a clean nest. But if you don't get them out of the muck, they may not be healthy much longer.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome
    Glad you could join the flock! X2 with ChickenCanoe. Your outside area really needs to be drier. It can soon become a breeding ground for disease and bacteria. Here is an article on fixing a muddy run https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

Hope it helps you and you are able to make a cleaner drier area for them. Wishing you the very best of luck. Enjoy BYC :frow

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined the "flock."[​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Hi welcome to BYC

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Maybe you can elevate the base of your run by adding much pea gravel & sand above grade - using boards on the perimeter of run to hold it in place. We used to have many inches(depth) of pea gravel in dog runs and they dried out fast. You can freshen up from time to time by locking chickens in the coop, while sprinkling straight bleach over the gravel. Leave on a few hours and then hose it down thoroughly before allowing chickens back in.

9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

We live in mud here in the Pac. NW in the winter.

I do make sure my girls have a grassy area to run to and spend most of their time. They have to walk in the mud to get to their coop though. Not much you can do unless you give them a covered run when the rain is constant.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by