1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alot of saliva/fluid in mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FLchook, Oct 11, 2011.

1. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    My sons Jap hen seemed a little off yesterday. When I hold her or let her wander the yard she perks up, but in cage she seems lethargic, tail down and wings sorta down (hard to tell since shes a jap)

This morning I picked her up checking more closely and noticed that her mouth has a lot of saliva in it....

Any ideas? Is she just sulking because she would rather be on my shoulder then in her cage with Cool Guy? They have more then enough room for the 2 of them, and they get along very well.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    How's her crop???

3. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Didn't check this morning the crop specifically, but it wasn't noticeable when I was poking & prodding her. Just checked now, and don't really feel it at all. I did finally see her eating a little bit ago. That made me feel a little better.

Checked mouth again... still gooey in there. I'm stumped [​IMG]

4. FLchook

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    She seems to have perked up... and is finally eating like her normal self. Guess just a fluke......
    [​IMG]

5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I hope so... good job for keeping such a close eye on her!

6. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2 and good luck with her:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by