Alpaca fiber - Sold

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chickenzoo, Dec 18, 2008.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I shaved my Alpaca today, with hand shears, his first time ever - mine too, LOL
    Well I have two garbage bags full.......and he looks like he got attacked by a muppet.
    Oh well, at least he's cooler. I don't know what the fiber normally goes for, just thought someone could make an offer.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I love Alpacas! But I have not a clue what to do with the fiber...I'm not crafty in that way. [​IMG]

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I think it depends on the quaility of the fiber to what cost people would be willing to pay for it. If it was me, I'd take close up pictures of the fiber and talk to some alpaca breeders and show them the pictures they may be able to tell you from that what the fiber is worth. I guess theres some alpacas that their fiber isnt worth much and others it's worth thousands. If i was still into felt working I'd be interested.

4. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    If I weren't already spend a billion $ this year I'd take it. Do you know what type it is? That plays a big role in the price you sell it for. Also get some pics! Hmmm I may still be interested.....

5. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    I am looking into learning how to spin, and LOVE the way alpaca feels. Was going to shear a friend's sheep for her in the spring and start with that, but alpaca is softer...and less itchy. When you find out how much you want to sell it for, PM me and hopefully we can work something out! [​IMG]

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Post pics, how long is it? Did you bath shortly before he was clipped? Is it free of bedding material and waste? Did you brush him out before you clipped?

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I'll get pics of before and after and of the fiber. I know nothing about Alpaca fiber but that it can be used in many ways, he he. I did not bath him, I know the fiber has natural oils in it and well......a bath was too much work as well as brushing. He looked like he never had a brushing before. He was not a happy camper and is barely halter broke, so kept it as calm for him as I could with a pair of hand shears. Amazingly he was pretty clean under the top layer, not too much stuff in the hair. I did find out he is intact, LOL. I didn't even know he had a tail under all that ! Ha HA.

8. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you. I will ask my Aunt if she is in need.

9. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What price are you asking for the fiber?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by