Alpaca(s)?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenmum, Dec 19, 2008.

1. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Does anybody have an alpaca or alpacas? Do you know if you can get just one or do you have to get two or more so that they don't get lonely?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you can have one, why wouldn't you want more?

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

They will pair up with a goat,horse,sheep. You do not need 2.

4. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Alpaca's need another Paca, they get very lonely and stressed when not in pairs. Many people will not even sell a single one.

5. chickenmum

Dec 7, 2008
    O.k., who's right?[​IMG]

6. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
  7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I raise llamas, my neighbor has a huge Alpaca ranch. Alpacas and llamas NEED the company of another of their OWN kind. They are very social and can get very stressed and have issues if kept by themselves. Another animal is good but not good enough.

Responsible Alpaca and Llama owners will NOT sell their animal if it's going to a home as a single Alpaca or Llama. It's that critical.

8. chickenmum

Dec 7, 2008
    O.k., thanks!

9. spectrumranch

spectrumranch Chillin' With My Peeps

I would agree with they need company, but of another LAMA----does not have to be exactly the same type. LAMA is the family name which includes: Llamas, Alpacas, Guanacos & Vicunas.

We have sold pairs of mixed combos that have worked very well. An alpaca and a llama would be a good combo because the larger llama will also protect the alpaca.

Llamas come in several wool or fiber types- traditional, silky, suri, and ranges inbetween. Plus there are also Miniature llamas.

Alpacas come in Huacaya (fuzzy wool, teddy bear looking) & Suri ( ropey drapey type wool, regal looking).

Llamas and alpacas also come in many different colors, where as Guanacos & Vicunas all look alike. Reason being-- Llamas & Alpacas are domestic animals, they do not exist in the wild; Guanacos & Vicunas are both wild animals. There are people that raise Guanacos in the USA.

Guanacos are larger more like a llama. Vicunas are smaller than alapcas. Both have finer wool than their domestic cousins. Vicuna wool is VERY expensive and was highly regulated because of their rarity.

Any of the four will crossbreed and the crossbred offspring are capable of reproducing.

[​IMG]
    Suri Alpaca

[​IMG]
    Huacaya Alpaca

[​IMG]young Suri Llama girl

[​IMG]
    Vicuna herd resting in shade

[​IMG]
    Guanaco

Randy www.spectrumranch.net or www.sosranch.net

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    spectrumranch is right on... sorry I didn't express that better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by