alpacas/llamas for weed control?

itsasmallfarm

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 27, 2016
canada
hello everyone itsasmallfarm here. and have a few questions.

right now we have about 6-8 acres of pasture (or more weeds and bush then grass) with two horses on it. and we looking at animals that we could use for weed control and make pets out of. now i know goats and sheep seem to be the better option but the fencing is a bit too much for us. so i read alpacas and llamas are easier to contain and eat weeds (well alpacas they say llamas are fussy) does anyone else here raise alpacas or llamas? any tips or tricks?

thanks itsasmallfarm out :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, Alpacas are a pricey pet. I knew some peeps that did keep llamas. They were big and did need to be given quite a bit of supplemental feed as well.
I'm not in your shoes, but I would personally opt for goats or sheep. Smaller and less expensive.
A hot wire fencing should keep your goats on your grounds.

they can be a bit pricey, depends on the quality of the alpaca, but you also get the fiber or fleece to sell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Alpacas are a pricey pet. I knew some peeps that did keep llamas. They were big and did need to be given quite a bit of supplemental feed as well.
I'm not in your shoes, but I would personally opt for goats or sheep. Smaller and less expensive.
A hot wire fencing should keep your goats on your grounds.

Back
Top Bottom