Alpacas or goats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SwedishDude99, Sep 16, 2013.

1. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    So I know this is gonna take a pretty specific person to answer this question, as you probably would have had to raise both of them at some point or another. So my question is, alpacas or goats? I was looking into getting one of these animals, but I wanted to have some questions answered.
    1. Which can you make more money off of?
    2. Which makes a better pet?
    3. Which one is easier to care for?
    4. Which one is cheaper to care for?
    5. Which would require less land? I am planning on getting two or three, so also how much land would I need for that many?

I still need to do a TON of research on them before I got either one, but I wanted to see what you guys have experienced with them. I have to say though, I am kinda leaning towards alpacas, as they are cooler looking. And also, I would be looking for either just pet quality animals, but if I get alpacas, then maybe ones in which you sell the fleece. Thanks for all the answers I get! I'm really excited for everyone's opinions!:lol:

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I do have some experience with alpacas, as my aunt keeps them. I keep the goats, she has the alpacas. Just because I think goats are easier and cheaper shouldn't turn you off to 'em. I am glad you are taking the time to research!

3. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Thankyou so much. I would still like to hear others opinions too!!! :D

4. PacasNChicks

PacasNChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Snowflake
    My Coop
    I am glad you asked that question... I have Alpacas, they are a breeze to care for, only eat 1/3 of a flake morn and nite and l give them a goat molasses mix twice a week. 1 cup per Alpaca
    They get sheared usually in May and the lady who shears them, checks their teeth and toes and files/ trims as needed. They get a shot, drops in eyes at this time and barring any problems with births, they are an EZ care livestock. They are a herd animal and tend to group together and don't really bond to their owners. Some might disagree!
    I am looking for some Nigerian dwarfs and have been reading and doing my homework and the response to your question was helpful
    One thing nice abt my alpacas, is l don't have coyote problems with my chickens... Coyotes stay clear because of my herd of alpacas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by