Alpacas! Share stories, pictures!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Muggsmagee, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I would love to hear if anyone else has alpacas?

Our alpacas came to live with us August 20th. I am currently teaching them/myself to halter train. I have two gorgeous young males that have not been worked with before, and I have made HUGE strides to just getting there halters on! [​IMG] I was wondering if there were any tricks or suggestions to getting them moving, walking, following!?! [​IMG] They are not food motivated like dogs and horses...so any input would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

I would love to see pictures and hear your stories or questions all pertaining to alpacas! [​IMG]

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Crowing

Apr 4, 2010
    No advice never worked with them before but they sure are soooo cute.

They look young, should not be hard to train, keep trying and patients. Can they have sweet feed?

Good luck!

3. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:They have a specialty mixed grain that has molasses in it. They won't work for it! I've tried. They do require a ton of patience! I love them.

4. scarter

scarter Songster

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    With their halters and leads on tighten up the lead and when they take a step reward them with the loose lead. Verbally praise them and do it again. A few sessions like this and they will start walking with you. Also get some t-touch sticks (thin bamboo sticks work fine for this) to run down their legs and backs so you can eventually be able to pick their feet up to trim their toe nails.

5. arabianequine

arabianequine Crowing

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:They have a specialty mixed grain that has molasses in it. They won't work for it! I've tried. They do require a ton of patience! I love them.

carrots, apples???? Not sure what they can eat. How old are they?

ETA: found this website says they usually like apples and carrots..... http://alpacagala.com/About_Alpacas.html

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    put two leads on them one in your hand and the other around the butt. little tugs are more effective than a steady pull as soon as they move release the pressure. keep in mind they have very short attention spans 5 minutes is forever in their fluffy brains.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Ohio
    You may want to find a CameliDynamics clinic close to you or go to Marty McGee Bennett's website. She teaches Camelidynamics and it seems like that would be right up your alley.

8. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:I had been trying something similar with little results. They want to stick together...and I have tried using this to my advantage. The bigger one is easier to get moving (Canelo), but the little one (Milagro) just kushes! Never fails...he just lays down. Stubborn!

We are being very patient with them...there isn't a rush. I just hope it is "doable" from someone with no experience halter training ANY animal! I will try it your way tonight muddyhorse. I'll let you know if there is progress. Thank you.

9. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:I will check this out...thank you for the info! And love the avatar pic ksalvagno!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010

10. SteveP

SteveP In the Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    Saint Joseph MO
    As someone that works with alpacas on a daily basis (and has been doing this for many many years now) I can tell you that you need to be very careful about their diet, they have a very easily upset tummy, molasses, veggies, and sweets of any kind can send them into a mess that you do not want to pay a vet for.... believe me! I have seen one to many lost by not properly informed buyer (sellers fault not the buyer in my opinion) simply because the diet was WAY off. The biggest thing I see people losing alpacas too is corn, it is really hard on their stomach and not good for them, nor is it high enough in protein, a little is ok and actually can be good but not much.

Now on to halter breaking... you need to be careful with this as well as they can and will become stressed and excited fairly easily and thus actually will reverse your progress. Your best bet is to use a bungee cord with a clip on either end. Clip one end to a post or pole and the other to their halter, leave them for a half an hour or until they calm down to the point that they are just standing there with a slack cord. At this point you will want to put the lead on them to try and walk them. If they do not want to walk, just make them go in circles, they do not like their head to be pulled back across their body and will walk in circles for hours because of that. I will try and take some pictures today as I have 9 crias that I am halter breaking for shows right now.

Good luck and I hope you truly enjoy your alpacas, they are a ton of fun and can be a blast to have around.... especially when they hum or dig to thee bottom of their hay box for the best hay. If you have any question or I can help you in any way just shoot me a PM and I'll give you my phone number.

Steve

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by