1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alpha Hen (Churkey) vrs the Crow Community

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bluey, Jun 26, 2008.

1. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Crows are generally a nuisance where we live. Anytime we put seed out for the songbirds, they'll eventually find out and scare the smaller birds away from the feeders.

The other day I saw the funniest thing. I always assumed that my chickens are afraid of the crows. Well, my 16 week old hens are...but not my year old alpha hen, Churkey!

Every time a crow dropped out of the sky to grab some chicken feed pellets, Churkey charged like a rhino with her head down and drove the crow away. She did this over and over again...it was quite comical. The crows were screaming bloody murder but eventually just packed it in and gave up. [​IMG]

Anybody else have chicken/crow battles?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    My mom had a cat feeder on the front porch that the crows were eating so she put the food inside a pet carrier and it's funny to watch cause this one certain crow just keeps flying by and screaming at her to let him/her have some, lol.

3. nautical_bouy

nautical_bouy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    Don't kill them Bluey, they keep the hawks away...

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Thanks Naut, I did not know that and I was thinking about taking them out. [​IMG]

You've just given the crow community a reason to smile. I will adopt a live and let live policy with our crows based on your advice.

5. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I didnt know that about hawks, we have a pair of both living near by. needless we have a covered run,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by