1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alpha hen question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sonjab314, Jan 18, 2011.

1. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I just seen my roo mount one of me EE's. When his "husbandly duties" were over, my Moutled Houdan came over and bit my EE on the neck twice (a chiken version of a cat fight lol). I've never seen her do this to my EE or any of my other hens. Is it normal?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    hens fighting...yup normal...just making sure everyone knows their place...I had a hen that bit everyone...she bit me...I don't have her anymore

3. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Well my cinamon queen nipped me the other day and I smacked her lightly but she got the message. She only has one eye so I don't know if she didnt see me or what but I won't tolerate that. I just thought it was weird that the MH bit the EE right after the roo dismounted, like maybe she didn't want the EE messing with "her man".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by