Alpha hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sophie442, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Sophie442

Sophie442 Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    I know hens have pecking order, but how severe should they behave? My 2 Anericaunas backs are bald and 1 has feathers picked iff her side. Others get nailed too. Today one of my older gens grabbed to top of another's head and didn't let go, kind of like a rooster. This seems to be the one I always catch pecking the others, every time someone is near her. Thoughts? I don't think she lays anymore as she's 3-4 years old and I've stopped getting my huge eggs, only on rare occasion.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Roosters are not the only ones who fight,grabbing,flaring,flogging is what any and every chicken does (some).This is extreme seperate thehens who are being picked on.

3. Sophie442

May 20, 2014
    I separated them once, but this still continues after putting them back. So should I get rid of the one I "think" is the bully that I don't "think" is laying or get rid of the 2 Americaunas that no one seems to like, but definitely lay?

4. Sophie442

May 20, 2014
    I do have saddles. That really helps, but it's been too hot for them.

5. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Get the bully out.

6. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    I had this happen to our hens earlier this spring. We got rid of the two most aggressive and everyone has gotten along great since. I considered rehoming the nice ones who got picked on but i figured the bullies would just start on the others. Besides i dont have a need for chickens that aggresive. Having chickens is supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing for me. And once they were gone, we are back to being able to enjoy the chickens.

7. Sophie442

May 20, 2014
    Thank you! I have tried to do everything right and I keep having issues! It's so frustrating! I've dusted, used DE for lice, worms, built a bigger coop and yard, used non GMO food and I always have someone getting beat up!

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

What breeds of hens do you have?
    If its a Red hen that's acting up? That is the problem. Some reds only like red hens.

9. Sophie442

May 20, 2014
    I have 5 red sex links that were akready here...a couple of them seem to really NOT like the Americaunas. I have buffs, Rhode Island, and Americaunas.

10. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Mine that was crazy aggressive was a red sex link and an ancona. I have read that red sex links can be like that. I also have been told by many that rhode island reds don't mix well with really docile breeds like buffs, and ameraucanas. My grampa had rhode islands and they were aggressive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by