ALPHA PULLET OR JUST MEAN?? HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HenHouse13, Nov 21, 2012.

1. HenHouse13

HenHouse13 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2012
    Hello! This is my first week with my 4 week old pullets...i have five of them and they are all thriving :) However, there is a certain one that i THINK is a Rhode Island Red and she is VERY bold...She is one of the few that eats from my hand (thankful for!) but she also seems like the bully of the group..also, last night my sweet French Mastiff (who does GREAT with the chicks!) peeked her head in their coop (i was right beside her watching) and the other chicks backed up , but the certain chick walked right up to her and pecked her on the nose! My Mastiff shook her head and backed away..I was curious as if to know if this chick is trying to be alpha, or is she going to be aggressive and bold for the rest of her life? :) thank you!

2. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    We have a few that give our lab a rough time lol. A little pecking is normal among the flock, they need to establish a pecking order... Probly 4 weeks is a bit early for that, but some chickens are just more "curious" if you will... More likely to eat from your hand and see what your dog is doing... Today our dog had a mouse and one of our hens took it from her lol... I wouldnt worry too much, they each have their own personality, thats half the fun of backyard chicken keeping :)

3. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Also, as far as being "aggressive" .. i suppose some chickens can be a bit on the mean side when they are doing the pecking order thing, but usually once everyone has a place they should get along fine... Just take care when adding new chicks later on... Thats when an aggressive chicken would worry me

4. aka Rachel

aka Rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

She will probably be the top hen.

I would only worry with behavior like that if it was a rooster. My experience has been that a rooster that is aggressive that young needs to be on the dinner table sooner then later, because they get ALOT more dangerous during the 'teenage' years. My flock is free ranged so I need roosters I can trust.

5. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Are you sure she is not a he?

Nine times out of 10 my experience has been that a "youngster" that is significantly more aggressive, and in particular, more protective, than its same-age peers, turns out to be a male.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  6. HenHouse13

HenHouse13 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2012
    thanks yall for your help and advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by