1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alphfa or clover hay, will they eat it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by harleyjo, Sep 20, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    My husband was wondering if chickens will eat alphfa or clover hay or will they just bed in it?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I know that mine LOVE alfalfa leaves!!!!! Grasshoppers and alfalfa are their favorites. I don't think they will eat the alfalfa stems though. Too long and dry. They come in to the barn every day and pick over what is on the floor from me feeding the horses.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I have a small hay feeder in my chicken pen. My chickens eat a surprising amount of alfalfa. I would put up some sort of a hay rack if I were you rather than just throwing it on the ground, but that's me.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I toss about half a flake of alfalfa in the coop a couple times a week. They love to scratch thru it and eat all the little leaves.

5. Trunkster

Trunkster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Everyone agrees chickens like alphafa, what about the clover. I plant a lot of white clover on my place and chickens are coming next year, will they eat it and is it good for them?

6. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Yes they will and yes it is![​IMG]

7. 8WarEagleChicks

8WarEagleChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Concord,NC
    [​IMG]I have only had chckens in my yard since April and I noticed the other day that all my white clover patches are now bare patches these days. [​IMG] I bought a bunch more to plant through out the yard this fall. They seem to really love it.

8. Trunkster

Trunkster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Thank you both for such a quick response. It looks like I'll have some happy hens because there is a lot of clover growing all around here and I keep planting it> I like the look better than grass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by