Already begging for it?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WestKnollAmy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My Rouen duck has been following one of my roosters around and bobbing her head in front of him for a few weeks now. I have a few other girls like the Magpie and a Cayuga starting to do the same thing. I have 2 drakes in with 15 ducks and there are 4 roosters left in that pen, too.
    Why do the ducks do this to the roosters and not to the drakes? The drakes have recently gotten their tail curls but do not act interested in the girls. The roosters are not interested either though a few months ago they seemed to be or maybe that was just a dominance thing.

I wasn't expecting eggs until Sept. from these older girls. Do they start the ritual this early in wanting to breed?

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:The ducks usually mature before the drakes. Maybe the roosters have been servicing the ducks?

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    LOL
    The roosters used to try to grab them when they were younger but now the ducks are so large the bantam roosters are almost frightened of them! And when that big Rouen girl gets near a roo his eyes get big and he takes off but she just runs after him and tries to get in front of him, ducking her head the whole time. They are Cochins and look so funny running away with a few ducks hot after them. I told them that would teach them to flirt with unknown girls, just look what happens when they grow up!
    I watch them quite a bit and have not seen a roo try to service a duck in about 2 months since my roo numbers have gotten down in that pen but I think the ducks remember what they used to do.
    It is kinda funny to watch. <snicker>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by