Already lost a chick, can I add more?

EMS83

Songster
9 Years
Dec 19, 2013
Georgia
The second morning we had them home, we found one had died. I'm bummed about this, though I know it happens (I was hoping it'd take longer to lose one, though). I only ordered 6, not thinking about potential losses this early. I was going to call the feed store in the morning and see if they had any chicks that weren't picked up over the weekend. Can I pop them in the brooder with the 5 I have left, no problem?

If they have none left and I have to wait two weeks, how would that work with these 5? I'm clueless; first time we've ever had chicks!

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Either is fine. The problem with the feed store chicks may be getting just 1. Here in Virginia, most of them require a minimum of 6 - although there are several 'mom & pop' places to get fewer. If you can get 1, there should be no problem tossing it in the brooder with the other chicks.

Basically the same is true for the other option. I have (2) 3 week old Svart Hona chicks still in my basement brooder that I put a dozen day old (+ the 2 day shipping) bantam chicks in with. It's rare to have aggression problems with chicks that are only a few weeks apart in age. I tossed the bantams in and my SH immediately accepted them - the only issue was the bantams evidently thinking the Sh were adults and trying to crawl under them (instead of the Brinsea ecoglow) for warmth initially...

Quote:
That's a pretty cute mental image. :D

Thanks for the the input; that puts my mind at ease.

Back
Top Bottom