Alright! 5 out 6 girls paid their rent today. *pic*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ginger Chic, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Ginger Chic

Ginger Chic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast Georgia
    We purchased 6 pullets already laying back in the middle of September. When we began getting eggs after about a week they were slow and tapered off to nothing after hitting 3 for a day or two. Now they've started up again and today we actually got FIVE EGGS!! I squealed like a kid at Christmas when I found them. Woo Hoo!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, who's the slacker???? [​IMG]

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Hey........Nice Eggs. What breed? Congrats. [​IMG]

3. Ginger Chic

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast Georgia
    Thanks! We're really proud of our gals. Dash found them on Craig's List. A family was moving and was having to downsize their flock. We really lucked up! [​IMG]

1 RIR - Lorraine
    2 Golden Comets - Rita & Goldie Hen
    1 Black Sex Link - Lily
    2 BRs - Dottie & Blanche

4. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Such great breeds. Expect large to Jumbo ( sex links ) brown eggs. That's a wonderful variety you have there. Are you using artificial lighting? Those are all winter hardy breeds too.

5. Ginger Chic

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast Georgia
    LMBOBO!! They live in the converted lamb barn behind our house and free range in the fenced in backyard with the dog & cat while we are at work.

Trust me... they live in the chicken version of a Thunderbird Motor Lodge, circa 1972.

I have a 100w bulb for the clip on light in case it drops down to freezing, though I don't see that happening until at least after the new year.

I guess I need to add a neon sign advertising a vacancy. Might just have some more "swingin' chics" drop by for a while. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I like it. Cool coop.

I use a 60 watt for a larger coop. Heard too much light will make them irritable. Who knows. I just go by what I read here.

I also have it on a timer and only do it in the morning. They need about 14 hrs of light per day in winter. They bed down naturally in the evening. Out of 40 layers...I am getting about 35 eggs a day.

7. Dash Riprock

Dash Riprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    Northeast GA
    Quote:BAH HAH!

Give me time, we might have some more gals by Sunday!

FYI...She called me at work today to CACKLE [​IMG] about the additional eggs. I was equally excited, but refrained from the verbal celebration [​IMG]. I did experience a very internal WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!! moment [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG].

[​IMG]

Dash

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by