1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alright, Enough is enough.. can they stay out in the rain? QUICK HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ragerkid2, Jun 12, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Where i am at it has thundered stormes EVERY DAY for the last week. I cant keep rounding up chickens CONSTANTLY. They hate me for it. I feel bad having them locked up in the brooder ALL day and my mom wont allow it because she say the more they poop outside is the less they poop inside the garage... There is plenty of shelter and stuff for them to hide under, (bushes, playsets. under the steps. Please tell me they will be okay?

2. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Okay, So mother nature hates me, seconds after I post this it just starts DOWN POURING. I think they are okay because they were hiding under bushes and the quad.

3. 6Chickens&counting

6Chickens&counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    They should be fine as long as lighting doesn't strike near you..... Whenever we have snow storms I lock them in their coop with two lamps for heat.... I'm always worried but my parents say they are fine. I raised all my baby chicks because my parents said it was my idea.... haha Im in the city so I have to make sure they dont bauck so loudly.

4. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    My little ones (0-4wks) get shut away when it rains, the rest find their own shelter, we leave the chicken barn open for them and they usually go in there.

5. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    mine are about 11 and 8 weeks old. fully feathered and have been free ranging for weeks. It is thundering a little

6. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    we get several "fake out storms" it will thunder and lightning, wind blow.. I ll go out and get everyone rounded up in the bed.. ( which they fight me about cause they know it isn't time for them to go in.. ) then it doesn't rain.. just blows over us.. out of the last 6 storms we've had rain once.. and it was quick and didn't even wet the ground under the squash leaves.. so I don't make them go up anymore.. the one storm we had they were out and did just fine..

blessed be )O(
    Pink

7. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    I shouldn't worry as long as they have somewhere to go for shelter, do they go in alone at night? do they have access to there living quarters?

8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Just provide them with shelter to get under during the rain. You could use lawn furniture where they are at or maybe set up a small lean to or tent using a tarp.

9. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    well it is raining here pretty hard. Not as bad as when it first started. I gues its a good chance for the little ones to meet the big ones. [​IMG]
    The sun is coming out now:clap

10. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

It is raining here now. No thundering so I figure they can be out and about if they want, which they do. They are mostly under trees apple eating anyway. Our coop is raised two feet off the ground so they always have that for protection which they ran under yesterday when it really was storming. They don't want to be put to bed, they always have that option, so I just leave it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by