Alright, who's the girl and who's the boy? (8 lil' chicklets)

IcarusSomnio

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Vernon County, MO
I bought five little Welsummers from the local Hatchery, well, originally I ordered four pullets, but he threw in a cockerel for 50c to even out the total. Now it looks like I have more than one little boy! Augh! I'll be taking all my extra cockerels to the local swap next Sunday but I want to be sure first, no need to sell a pullet as a cockerel.

Alright, here we go.

#1. Welsummer - Pullet?
1.jpg

#2. Welsummer - Supposed to be a pullet
2.jpg

#3. Welsummer - Cockerel? (actually supposed to be a cockerel)
3.jpg

#4. Welsummer - Pullet?
smile.png

4.jpg

#5. Golden Sebright - Either he's a cockerel or thats fungus
lol.png

5.jpg

#6. Golden Sebright - Pullet, right?
6.jpg

#7. I have no idea what these guys are - Cockerel?
7.jpg

#8. Again, no idea! - Magic 8 Ball says 'Pullet'
8.jpg

Oi oi oi, thats even worse -headdesk- I think the Welsummers are supposed to be somewhat sex-linked? With pullets having the dark triangle on their heads and the cockerels the blurry ones?

I suppose I'll have to stick with a hatchery that vent-sexes next time (I got the Wellies and Sebrights from a local place) instead of going by markings. Or just get some nice stock from a private breeder. I'm going to keep the Wellies around for a while longer, see if one turns out into something I really like, definitely the two buffs, but I think I'm going to sell or trade the Sebright cockerel through.

Well, if they're really all cockerels, that at least frees up space for those Marans I've been looking to get
tongue.png

Do the last two have feathered feet? Would that make them cochins?

Last edited:
At least #'s 2, 3 and 5 are boys. #1 has very pullety feathering, methinks. The jury's kinda out on #4 for me. The last one looks like a buff cochin pullet.

Quote:
Yep they do
smile.png
I'm thinking they might be Cochin crosses...? I got them with a Japanese Bantam hen (she was brooding them) so I dunno if they're her chicks and the daddy was a Cochin, or if someone just hatched Cochin's under her or what
big_smile.png
I bought the momma and chicks at auction, so it's a mystery.

Quote:
That's what I read on the boards about Speckled Sussex....ended up being the opposite for mine (supposed to be both pullets....of course my fav is boy, which I can't have!
sad.png
)

Back
Top Bottom