Alright y'all, I want to hear how you are all winterizing your coops!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blondiebee181, Sep 23, 2012.

1. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Winter is coming! And for those of us further north, there are things to consider : Light or no light, insulate or not, defrosting water, battening down runs, extra bedding etc....

As for me, I live in Boise, ID where even winter temps are fairly mild. Usually doesn't get below 15-20F at night so I am opting not to light or insulate. I want my girls to take their natural time off of laying in the winter and relax. I am planning to tarp my entire 10X20 foot dog run against the chickens bain....DRAFTS but I want my girls to build up a natural coat of feathers and fat against the cold. I have 5 hens and 2 Indian Runner ducks. Some of the hens have larger wattles and a friend of mine recommended vaseline. I plan on keeping the coop ventilated and moisture free so hoping that won't be an issue. I want to hear your thoughts and ideas!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    I live in Wisconsin and it can get pretty cold in the winter here. temps in the negatives at night sometimes. I havent decided if i'm going to use insulation or not, but i think i'll just put a tarp over the run to keep the wind and snow out. i think that'll be enough.

3. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Oh good I don't feel bad that that's all I'm doing to mine.....if the cheeseheads can handle it, so can us potato skins!!!! LOL[​IMG]

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

No insulation, minimal light in the morning. Run covered on the sides with plastic to keep a snow free area, run filled and refreshed with the fall leaves, they'll be bagged when they are dry... The top of the run will be covered obviously. No heat. Going to be fun! My run is 12x28, so they've got lots of room, and I also leave the run door open in the winter, and when it is not to bad, my birds do go out in it...
    [​IMG]

5. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Haha, yeah im sure your birds will be fine. As long as they have a draft-free, dry coop to sleep in they do well enough

6. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    My run is large too, 10X20 ' and I will just be tarping it down. the coop is enclosed in the run so that will help keep it and my duck house dry too.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Baxter-Shamo

Baxter-Shamo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2012
    England.
    I live in England, at let me tell you its already freezing here & raining here! (Then again whats new?!)
    I started getting ready for the winter today. Over the last couple of days my runs have been like a mud bath thanks to the rain. Luckily I got my hands on some green liner and covered the run in it, Sadly it prevents them from not being able to scratch about but it also prevents them getting too cold and dirty. No more dirty chickens here!:)

[​IMG]

As for the inside, I've just added a lot more bedding. It gets really warm when they're locked up as it is!

8. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    You could cover the green liner with more straw piles and then scatter scratch into it....that will give them a couple hours of fun!

9. blondiebee181

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Keep the ideas comin'!

10. LOTSAGIRLS8

LOTSAGIRLS8 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    GOSH, NOW I WONDER IF I OVER DID. WE LIVE IN IDAHO FALLS. ID. MUCH COLDER THAN BOISE. IN THE MINUSES AT NIGHT. OUR COOP IS FULLY INSULATED AND I WAS GOING TO INCREASE THE BEDDING. DIDN'T THINK ABOUT LEAVES IN THE RUN AND TARPS OVER IT, SOUNDS GOOD THOUGH.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by