Alright you hens! This isn't funny anymore!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Oct 6, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Last night I posted about having too many eggs until I can get a system going and sell some.
    We are trying to gather egg cartons as fast as we can. This afternoon I did what I've been doing with all the extras, I scrambled em up for the critters. Even the dogs aren't that excited about getting eggs anymore. [​IMG]
    Anyhow, I scrambled a dozen and fed them to the critters, go out to check things in the coop and what do I find? EIGHT more eggs to go with the four I got this morning!! My first dozen day.
    They're doing it on purpose I tell you. I'm sure if I look hard enough in their coop I'll find a handbook written for chickens on how to drive your owner crazy somewhere! [​IMG]
    So tell me, is there such a thing as a forced moult?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    LOL, I know the feeling. I get overrun with eggs every few weeks. I gotta have a plan.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

How about selling them?!?! Do you have a market for them where you live? I would love to have your problem.

4. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    You need to advertise that you have fresh farm eggs. People love fresh eggs. Down here where I'm at, the Czech people love the fresh farm eggs because the yolk is almost orange colored and they make homemade noodles to sell at the local stores here in town. The orange colored yolks make the noodles a beautiful color instead of whitewashed like store bought noodles. Give it a try, post an ad and start sellin' them eggs. [​IMG]

5. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I wish I had your problem also, I have too many egg orders and not enough eggs.

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I wish I could feel bad for you, but I'm still waiting for my 1st egg! ARGH!!!!! [​IMG]

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hey Seminole! Do you think corks would work? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yes, I plan to sell them. The problem is I don't have cartons right now and I really can't afford to order cartons till next month. Watch I'll order cartons and the hens will start their moult.
    Just got off the phone after discussing it with my SO yet again. He's off tomorrow, but on Wednesday he's gonna take a few dozen to work in the cartons I do have and some signs to sell more at a discounted price IF the customer supplies the carton.
    Guess I best get busy making my sign for the side of the road too.

8. debilorrah

Kat, do you have a feed store nearby that sells the cartons? Ours sells them for 25 cents each - not bad.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Nah, I already checked there. Only way I've found to get any is to order them online. My SO told me he's told everyone at the PD, the sheriff's office and city hall that we need cartons; so hopefully people will be generous. [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

Good grief! You want to see how much it would cost to ship them to you? I can spare a couple bucks... Seems kinda crazy to have order a minimum and pay all that shiopping. PM me if you like. I could about 15 or so and send them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by