alrighty... i need suggestions.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Aug 22, 2011.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i want to focus on one breed but i cant choose... i need your help. give me a breed you would suggest and tell me why and where i could get some.

THANKS!!!

2. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    that's tough... not all chickens are for everyone...

first, i would decide if you want bantam or large fowl... second, find out what you want them for... eggs, show, meat, dual purpose, broodys... what...? then decide on a couple of breeds, get a some of those from a hatchery or something, and decide which chickens are really for you...

i have and am starting a breeding program on OEGB... i had a bunch of colors, but decided to focus on mille fleur, self blue, fawn and porcelain... that's it... but now i just got some seramas... but before that, i got some shamos... started a huge blue laced red shamo program and decided they weren't for me... today, they took the last ones... i have giant blue cochins though... they're great... but they're just my egg layers... that's it...

good luck...

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

roocrazy,

you need to tell folks what your purpose to have chickens is in order for folks to give you worthwhile suggestions: Pets? Meat? Eggs? Showing?

You would probably get a different breed suggestion for each category!!!!!!!!

For eggs, I recommend wonderful hybrids---> Golden comets---sweet, good foragers, egg-laying machines, and good feed-conversion. Easy keepers with good dispositions...... but if it isn't eggs you are interested in, then everything changes.

4. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    Not sure what you're looking for. My Amish friend, who I bought my barred rocks from, said she tried 6 different breeds for meat and eggs. She boiled the chickens with in water only and the BR's had the best flavor. She also experimented with eggs. Overall the BR's were best for both. My BR's have laid practically every day even in this heat. Hope this helps [​IMG]

5. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    Oh, and they are very gentle as well!

6. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    sorry 'bout that.
    large bird, decent amount of eggs, good nature, sometimes broody, heritage,

7. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    ilive in mn

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Buckeyes......

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's still a large list [​IMG]

there's the pea and rose combed ones for cold
    -

Wyandottes, Buckeyes, Chanteclers, Rose-combed Rhode Island Reds, Rhode Island Whites, and Brahmas

then the single combed ones but with small single combs -

Faverolles, Orpingtons, Sussex, and Cochins

All relatively large to very large breeds, known for being broody, very cold hardy, good amount of egg laying, heritage.

10. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    moderate color to breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by