Also, Black Australorps??????????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mystery Peepers, May 13, 2009.

1. Mystery Peepers

Mystery Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    I have two 8-9 week old chickens that are black with brown tinges on their breasts. They have black legs. I have a full grown black australorp hen. My little ones have the same looks as her, escept their combs are yellow and my full grown one's are red. They also have brown on their feathers on the front. My grown one doesn't. Are the little ones Australorps?

-M.P.

Chickens:
    1 NHR Margret, 1 BA Ileen, 2 ??black Pet and Patty, 1 ? rooster Clooney, 3 ??? white/yellow Lucy, Dove, Murray, three 1 week old guineas, four 1 1/2 months old guineas.

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Pictures.

3. Mystery Peepers

Apr 16, 2009
    Thanks
    I'll see if I can get any up.

-M.P.

4. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    Australorps shouldn't have any brown feathers- sounds like a black star or black sex-link to me...

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Sounds more like black sexlinks from the description of the red feathers on the chest.

6. Mystery Peepers

Apr 16, 2009
    What is a sex-link. Also, what is the difference between a pullet, and a sex linked? Did you say you ave two labs? I've got a thread going on my HYPER,DESTRUCTIVE,JUMPY lab. It's under, other pets and livestock, ! YEAR OLD FEMALE BLACK LAB.... Thanks!

-M.P.

7. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    We have 9 Australorps and I have never seen any brown feathers on them, so I would say they are probably something else.

8. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Quote:A sex link is a mixed-breed chicken whose sex can be determined by its coloring. Males are one color and females are another. I also have a chick that is probably a black sex link and she is black with golden colored feathers around her neck. I am not the expert, but this could be what you have. Post pictures and the people here are usually very helpful.

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Yes I do have 2 labs and black and a chocolate, Mother and Daughter combo, Mom Sally is 13 now and Daughter Cinnomon is 11 years old. and I love them dearly![​IMG] I will check out you post. Sandy

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sex-links are a planned breeding that makes use of sex-linked genes to produce chicks that are sexable at hatching based upon their appearance. The two most common kinds are

1) red sex-links, which make use of the silver/gold gene to produce red or buff pullets (young females) or mostly white cockerels (young males)

and

2) black sex-links, which make use of the barring gene to produce mostly black (usually with some brown or red) pullets and barred cockerels.

Hatcheries have named versions of these crosses such as Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, Isa Brown, Black Star, etc., and they breed for high production (eggs).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by